Got Droid X today! First smartphone! Bit overwhelmed

dtdlurch

Reaction score
Sheesh, you guys praise rooting like its the second coming yet fan hate flames towards are simple task killer program? Irony is thick here...

Use the task killer then. You don't have to follow everyone elses thoughts on the matter. It is only the recommendation of serious hobbyists and professionals who have discussed and debated the subject to ridiculous ends as well as picked apart almost every bit of the Android OS code. What do they know?

OP
Freezetron

Freezetron

Reaction score
In any case moving on. Another thing thats driving me nuts and it must be because im an avid Windows users. I keep finding that the Droid keeps webpages loaded in the background even though I go back to homepage when im done looking at them. When im done looking at a website, I wanna somehow be able to completely close it other then when the auto screen lock turns on.

Is there a special way to "close" browser windows on the DX instead clicking the option hard button and closing background browser windows one at a time?

OP
Freezetron

Freezetron

Reaction score
It is only the recommendation of serious hobbyists and professionals who have discussed and debated the subject to ridiculous ends as well as picked apart almost every bit of the Android OS code. What do they know?

Thats cute, keep the attitude up and you'll be my first enemy/ignored list person on the forum in less then a week since signing up.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Alright let's all try and stay level headed.

In any case you can download dolphin browser hd from the marketplace. It has a pretty easy option to exit and close all tabs and clear history and cach.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Its a great browser. I like it but find my self content with the stock one.
Any other ?'s

cpjr

Reaction score
Sheesh, you guys praise rooting like its the second coming yet fan hate flames towards are simple task killer program? Irony is thick here...

With all due respect...thats not irony because your comparing apples to oranges.

zuckerj

Reaction score
So my question is, where do I go to learn how to root my Droid X running 2.2 Froyo?

I keep running into guides for 2.1, or for different phones. I just want to be sure I'm Not going to brick my phone, or lose functionality by doing something wrong.

Thanx in advance for any help.

Jz

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

joeshell20

Reaction score
I used one click root. Worked like a charm.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So my question is, where do I go to learn how to root my Droid X running 2.2 Froyo?

I keep running into guides for 2.1, or for different phones. I just want to be sure I'm Not going to brick my phone, or lose functionality by doing something wrong.

Thanx in advance for any help.

Jz

Go into settings, About Phone then system updates. The phone should check for the update to 2.2 Froyo which went out awhile ago.

zuckerj

Reaction score

Go into settings, About Phone then system updates. The phone should check for the update to 2.2 Froyo which went out awhile ago.

Huh? No. I am running on 2.2. Was just looking for a pointer in the right direction for rooting 2.2.

Installing Android SDK now. I am assuming that is step number one.

Jz.

zuckerj

Reaction score
I've got Android SDK installed and running.

I've also downloaded the Droid2Root rar. It makes sense how I'll push certain files to the device, then get into shell and execute the binary that will, presumably, mke the changes to the Droid OS using those files I've pushed to the device. But I have a more fundamental problem

I'm not sure how to connect it to the Device. The guides I'm finding out there all seem to be for Windows, I'm running Mac OSX 10.6. So as of now, I still can't see my device when executing the adb devices command. Any pointers?

Is there a guide for me?

Jz.

DynoPlast

Reaction score
Sup all, at LONG LAST after Fedex taking their damn sweet time, I got my first smartphone, the Droid X in my hands today and finally got to activate and play with is this evening. Even being a computer tech and gamer that I am, I finding it a bit overwhelming trying to comes to grips with what this thing can do. So I'll narrow it down to simple requests.

1. Whats the easiest way to see exactly how much apps and crap is running on my Droid and the best way to see and shut them down without going into rooting the phone? I wanna have this Droid X running as lean as possible for speed and battery life.

2. Is there anyway to keep the browser from remembering my last webpage? How can I setup up the browser or shortcut to take me to a default google.com search engine website?

3. I've had LG clamshell phones all these years, so how or can I change theme or colors on these Droids?

4. What are the major DO and DO NOT's with these things in regards to software usage?

5. How do I go about making sure my android OS is up to date as well as phone software/firmware?

Thanks all for any input and advice.

A MAJOR "don't"

DON"T take video or photos of anything that may be construed as "sexually arousing" without prior WRITTEN consent of the subjects in question. Many states have what is known as "improper photography" laws - some make it a state jail FELONY - to take surreptitious photography/video with the intent on causing arousal.

Yes, your Droid X can get you convicted of a thought crime in many states.

Goodkat

Reaction score

The only task killer you'll ever need is the one that comes with the phone; its been proven time and time again that aftermarket TKs are detrimental to the performance of your device. Rooting on the other hand, if done properly, has numerous and substantial benefits. Its certainly not for the uninformed, yourself for example, but for those willing to learn more about their device and what is possible with it.