Got Droid X today! First smartphone! Bit overwhelmed

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by Freezetron, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Freezetron

Freezetron Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sup all, at LONG LAST after Fedex taking their damn sweet time, I got my first smartphone, the Droid X in my hands today and finally got to activate and play with is this evening. Even being a computer tech and gamer that I am, I finding it a bit overwhelming trying to comes to grips with what this thing can do. So I'll narrow it down to simple requests.

1. Whats the easiest way to see exactly how much apps and crap is running on my Droid and the best way to see and shut them down without going into rooting the phone? I wanna have this Droid X running as lean as possible for speed and battery life.

2. Is there anyway to keep the browser from remembering my last webpage? How can I setup up the browser or shortcut to take me to a default google.com search engine website?

3. I've had LG clamshell phones all these years, so how or can I change theme or colors on these Droids?

4. What are the major DO and DO NOT's with these things in regards to software usage?

5. How do I go about making sure my android OS is up to date as well as phone software/firmware?

Thanks all for any input and advice.

2. pierced_droid

pierced_droid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Congrats on the first smart phone.. now very logical questions you have asked. But being a fellow computer tech and gamer you want to customize your phone making it as fast a possible lol so look in the custom Roms section and do some reading

Sent from my etcha-sketch

3. spaz33g

spaz33g Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +0
    Glad you got your x. I answered some of your Qs in the quote

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

4. Freezetron

Freezetron Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Also, how do go about adding custom ringtones to each contact and pictures like I could with my LG phones in the past?

5. Freezetron

Freezetron Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, so this advanced task killer I found and running off the market isn't any good? It was one of the top rated apps.

6. spaz33g

spaz33g Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +0
  7. spaz33g

spaz33g Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +0
    As for that one you can go to your gallery and find a pic you want to use as a contacts id and then hit the menu button and then hit more and then set as and then contact id and follow the instructions from there.

To set a specific ringtone, go to the contact you want to assign and hit menu then edit and then scroll to the bottom and hit more (I think that's what it says) and you can assign a ringtone.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

8. billyidle

billyidle Member

Ratings:
    +0
    To set a browser home page, Menu key in browser, settings, Select Homepage

9. Freezetron

Freezetron Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Gmail isn't working, it keeps saying " Your email will appear shortly" I removed the task killer but nothing is happening. The phone also is slower since I removed the task killer

10. dtdlurch

dtdlurch Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Congrats man. You've come to the right place! Best android community on the net!

Definitely don't use a task killer. If your phone is running slower, well....either it's got some processes running that need to be but your task killer was knocking them out. Which is why you prolly couldn't get your gmail. Reboot your phone. Delete the task killer and any other apps you don't need or want then reboot. It should initialize itself properly.

My best advice is to not be intimidated by rooting. It's nothing to take lightly, but you have a wealth or resources, a great community to help, and the best damn developers out there doing the root methods. You will get much more optimization out of your phone. You can over clock it, completely change your themes, get features not offered by the verizon approved OS, etc. Plus, there's also a ton of tools to keep your phone running best, but can only be used if you have root.

Read up on root. Don't be careless about it. But I highly suggest that route if you are patient and responsible wi it.

11. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Half the problem is they tell you not to use a task killer, and why. But they DON'T tell you what you should use INSTEAD. C'mon people these people still feel their phones are running a tad sluggish at times, don't just use a blanket "DON'T USE A TASK KILLER", when task killers in and of themselves are not evil. Its the automated part that sucks. Inform them of apps like Startup Auditor or MinFree or Autokiller that might help his phone run better.

Autokiller is NOT a task killer. The developer was stupid and named his app COMPLETELY wrong, because it gives people the wrong idea. Autokiller is an Android Memory Management tweaker, It changes memory management settings numbers in the OS itself (it DOES require ROOT), so the OS can keep more free RAM, so the phone doesn't feel as sluggish. I use it and I love it.

12. joeshell20

joeshell20 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    May want to point out the perils of installing custom roms on the droidx. Droidx has a efuse chip, so if something goes wrong when trying to install an un-official rom, you could brick your phone. Then the only way to recover it would be attemp to flash sbf or take it to them. Although some have had success, you wont see me trying it. Just a word of caution.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Search tags for this page
close open windows on smartphone
close window on smartphone
close windows on my smartphone
close windows on smartphone
how do i close a window on my smartphone
how do i close tabs on my smartphone

how do i close windows on my smartphone

how do you close windows on a smartphone
how to close browser on smartphone

how to close windows on smartphone