Google's Extra Announcements

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nexus-protect.jpg

Along with their two new phones, the Nexus 5X and the Nexus 6P, Google also announced a few new services/options. For folks who preorder either of the new phones, you get 90 days of free Google Music service. You will also get a $50 Google Play Store Gift card.

Finally, Google announced their new Nexus Protect program, which is meant to give Nexus owners peace of mind. Nexus Protect is basically two years of coverage in case there’s a mechanical breakdown, and an addition to two years of accidental damage protection.

Google has yet to dig into the details or the pricing for the Nexus Protect program, but we will share that as soon as they do.

Update: It looks like the Nexus Protect program will cost $89 at the time of preorder.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Sucks about the Google Music they don't apply that to current subscribers. I'll take the $50 in the PS any day of the week though.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Q. Is it cheaper to get the $89 protection for 2 years, or pay $4.99 month for Asurion?

A. Google wins by $30 dollars, only if you plan on keeping your phone for 2 years.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Q. Is it cheaper to get the $89 protection for 2 years, or pay $4.99 month for Asurion?

A. Google wins by $30 dollars, only if you plan on keeping your phone for 2 years.
This even beats Applecare which is now $129 (unless you finance). Plus the accidental coverage (I don't remember how many times you get that) at NO COST! Bye bye silly $79 service fee

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
This even beats Applecare which is now $129 (unless you finance). Plus the accidental coverage (I don't remember how many times you get that) at NO COST! Bye bye silly $79 service fee
$79 service fee is still there for Nexus Protect. I wonder what "subject to" really means.

From site:
Worry-free claims process
It's easy to stay connected. File a claim with our partner Assurant® by phone, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Claims are subject to a $79 deductible and up to 2 incidents of accidental damage coverage over 2 years.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
$79 service fee is still there for Nexus Protect. I wonder what "subject to" really means.

From site:
Darn... Could've sworn they said No Cost at the event... But of course I was barely paying attention on account of the little ones. Still, a pretty decent deal.

Last edited:

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I thought I heard that as well but the website says different. But you get 1 replacement a year if you're clumsy.