Google Voice - You can now get a GV number if you were using your own with GV

ViciousCircle

Android Addict
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you had your GV set up to use your existing number and wished you could change to a Google Number, you now can (couldn't do it previously). Just go to your GV account on the web, click settings and next to your phone that is listed, you'll have the option to get a google voice number. Not sure exactly when they added this, but for a long time, you couldn't add a GV number if you didn't pick that option when you signed up.

mach330

Reaction score
that's good to know. how do we use those google rates for international calls if we kept our own number? If we change that option to the new google voice number, how do we call from that number? parden my newbiness on this subject.

socer38910

Reaction score
thanks for the heads up. been trying to make the change. also anyone know when u get more invitations. i've signed up for a few weeks now.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
That option was listed last month when I signed up....

I signed up to *not* get a G number, and there was a link in my GV to get a GV number when I wanted one....

swaks16

Reaction score
I have a google voice with my own number ... what are the pros and cons of switching to a google number ?

OP
ViciousCircle

ViciousCircle

Android Addict
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a google voice with my own number ... what are the pros and cons of switching to a google number ?
Free texting. Transcribed Voicemail sent to your E-mail or SMS.

You do get the transcribed VM to email or sms without having a GV number... I was using that before I noticed that I could now get a google number with my non-google number GV account. But, there are several other features that only come with a GV number, so I felt it was worth it to add the number to my account.

daddyd302

Reaction score
I'm still waiting when GV lets use use our own number instead of theirs for the full features.

shuggy

Reaction score
i just got an invite. so is it better to stick with my own number or use a new gv number? i guess i still don't know the benefit of both!

Droids

Reaction score
i just got an invite. so is it better to stick with my own number or use a new gv number? i guess i still don't know the benefit of both!
Get a GV number, it's a no brainer, doesn't cost you anything and you may just like it, or love it like myself and so many others do. You'll have all the options that using your own number gives you, and a lot more.

kennyg23

Reaction score
that's good to know. how do we use those google rates for international calls if we kept our own number? If we change that option to the new google voice number, how do we call from that number? parden my newbiness on this subject.

When you make a call, it will ask if you want to use google voice or not (depending on how you have it setup). If you use google voice, it will say something liking using google voice from number 1-800-***-**** (number always changes i think but receiver only sees the number you setup). I assume this is how they keep track of it that way somehow.

BTW, there is a google voice app in the market incase you guys didn't know that already.

Last edited:

xrstoy1

Reaction score
Get a GV number, it's a no brainer, doesn't cost you anything and you may just like it, or love it like myself and so many others do. You'll have all the options that using your own number gives you, and a lot more.
My question is if you get a Google Voice number can you still have the choice of using your number or the Google number on your calls, and voicemails? I would like the option without haveing to give every one a new number. Will both numbers work sepratly? :heart::motdroidhoriz: