Google Voice - what is it & what does it do for me?

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
probably uses your minutes, but I guess I am a rare bread and only get maybe 1 or 2 voice mails a month. so having them sent via SMS and email is just fine with me. and even IF I had to call it and check it would be fine.

-=Jason=-

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've been with Verison for 4 years, and most of the time they take a 24 hours before I can see the calls I made the prior day.

Fraxinus

Reaction score
I'm telling you that using Google Voice does not work that way. I don't know how it works but if you use Google Voice it does not use your minutes. I just checked it again and both calls are not listed and that's as of 3:43 according to Verizon.

Hook, I tried this yesterday but didn't get any conclusive evidence until today when I logged into my account again. What I seem to have observed is that, while the minute count increases immediately after completing a call, the actual call (date, phone number, etc.) is not logged and visible on the usage reporting until sometime later. When I checked this morning I found all the GV calls I made. (e.g. my minutes went from 28 to 29 after a 1 minute test call, but no call for 1/19/2010 appeared until today)

I tested by calling my work number using the standard dialer and then the GV dialer. I see the two calls side-by-side: one with my work number listed as the recipient, the other with an unusual number I don't recognize (which I have to assume is GV). Both show 1 minute of peak airtime used.

What I have to assume from the weird number listed is that this is the number GV is connecting me to in order to complete my call. This makes me a little nervous for anyone using the calling circle method of free calling since it wasn't my GV number that my droid was actually calling. Any input from folks who are utilizing the calling circle method?

Hook, if you're simply not paying on your bills then I can't doubt your claim...wonder how that's working, because it doesn't appear to for me!?!

Also, thanks everyone for some good discussion - it's a good excuse to delve a little deeper into GV and learn some new things!

Fraxinus

Reaction score
As far as I have ever seen the verizon website only updates call data once a day usually by noon. The number of minutes seems to change fairly often, but I would still be careful. I'm pretty comfortable that i have read enough times on here to add the GV # as a friends/family number to avoid charges. No matter what, if you can use it for outgoing minutes it will save even if people call you on the regular billable number. I know the friends/family deal saves me a lot of minutes so I assume that I could make some long calls with the GV deal and save a chunk as well. It seems great for free.

You should also be able to receive calls for free - if you choose to. GV has an option to format incoming calls to your GV number as either the caller's number or your GV number. If you set incoming calls to display your GV number then supposedly they will be free as well. If you read my previous post I'm not totally sure about free calling through a calling circle any more. If you'd care to experiment and report I'd be very curious...

So I have read the whole thread and have one question that I don't think has been answered, but if it has then I must have missed it. Everyone is saying things about GV just being a forwarding serivce so that's why it charges minutes when used, without the whole F&F work around, so I was wondering the effect calling in for VM does if you only use your verizon #. In other words, regardless of which GV plan you pick, if you use the GV voicemail feature instead of verizon, does that charge your verizon account minutes? If this makes sense...

I don't actually bother to call in for my voicemails. You can either get an SMS or email with the transcription of the VM and then you can also open the GV app on your Droid and read the transcription or listen to the playback. As far as I know audio replay through GV only uses data. Also, if you aren't in front of your phone but you have access to a computer you can log into GV and read/listen to your messages there.

xjman349

Reaction score
As far as I have ever seen the verizon website only updates call data once a day usually by noon. The number of minutes seems to change fairly often, but I would still be careful. I'm pretty comfortable that i have read enough times on here to add the GV # as a friends/family number to avoid charges. No matter what, if you can use it for outgoing minutes it will save even if people call you on the regular billable number. I know the friends/family deal saves me a lot of minutes so I assume that I could make some long calls with the GV deal and save a chunk as well. It seems great for free.

You should also be able to receive calls for free - if you choose to. GV has an option to format incoming calls to your GV number as either the caller's number or your GV number. If you set incoming calls to display your GV number then supposedly they will be free as well. If you read my previous post I'm not totally sure about free calling through a calling circle any more. If you'd care to experiment and report I'd be very curious...

So I have read the whole thread and have one question that I don't think has been answered, but if it has then I must have missed it. Everyone is saying things about GV just being a forwarding serivce so that's why it charges minutes when used, without the whole F&F work around, so I was wondering the effect calling in for VM does if you only use your verizon #. In other words, regardless of which GV plan you pick, if you use the GV voicemail feature instead of verizon, does that charge your verizon account minutes? If this makes sense...

I don't actually bother to call in for my voicemails. You can either get an SMS or email with the transcription of the VM and then you can also open the GV app on your Droid and read the transcription or listen to the playback. As far as I know audio replay through GV only uses data. Also, if you aren't in front of your phone but you have access to a computer you can log into GV and read/listen to your messages there.

Any call made to GV regardless of what for it will charge you minutes. This has been a huge increase in calls and people wondering about overage. If you have your VM set to GV every time someone calls and leaves you a vm you are being charged minutes for that call. If you call in to check your VM you are being charged minutes. If you are using GV for calling internationally and you are calling from your cell phone you are being charged standard air time.

Fraxinus

Reaction score
If you have your VM set to GV every time someone calls and leaves you a vm you are being charged minutes for that call.

xjman, can you explain this? Doesn't "hijacking" your VM with GV simply force your cell to forward a missed call to GV for receiving the VM? When a caller misses you at your cell number your cell phone no longer has a connection while they are leaving a VM, correct? So you shouldn't be charged minutes....or am I missing something?

xjman349

Reaction score
If you have your VM set to GV every time someone calls and leaves you a vm you are being charged minutes for that call.

xjman, can you explain this? Doesn't "hijacking" your VM with GV simply force your cell to forward a missed call to GV for receiving the VM? When a caller misses you at your cell number your cell phone no longer has a connection while they are leaving a VM, correct? So you shouldn't be charged minutes....or am I missing something?

It doesn't actually forward a missed call. What it does instead of forwarding to your Verizon Wireless Voicemail in the switch, its sent to another phone number. Meaning, technically after your phone rings for lets say 9 rings when your VM was going to pick up, what actually happens is your phone *connects* to your google voice number and the minute counter begins. We see the exact same thing happen all the time with forwarded numbers. Did you know if you forward your cell phone number to your home line, and someone calls your cell it counts as minutes when you answer it on your home line. Its the same principal. Your phone is still making a network connection and your phone is technically making that connection with google voice.

Reaction score
So am i to understand that the ONLY way to use google voice right now is through an invite? How long does it take if I request an invite right from google.com/voice?

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So am i to understand that the ONLY way to use google voice right now is through an invite? How long does it take if I request an invite right from google.com/voice?

GV is INVITE ONLY and it can takes, days to weeks for GV to send you your invite unless you get an invite from some one else

-=Jason=-

DHood

Reaction score

It doesn't actually forward a missed call. What it does instead of forwarding to your Verizon Wireless Voicemail in the switch, its sent to another phone number. Meaning, technically after your phone rings for lets say 9 rings when your VM was going to pick up, what actually happens is your phone *connects* to your google voice number and the minute counter begins. We see the exact same thing happen all the time with forwarded numbers. Did you know if you forward your cell phone number to your home line, and someone calls your cell it counts as minutes when you answer it on your home line. Its the same principal. Your phone is still making a network connection and your phone is technically making that connection with google voice.

But if you add the google number to your circle, you're fine; correct?

Bull4595

Reaction score
so what this is saying is that if you want to use the GV Visual Voicemail feature with your Verizon number is that it cost minutes when people leave a VM for you AND when you then check that VM, be it through the app or by calling? Can someone who uses GV in this way (GV VM on Verizon #) please clarify.

I just got an invite and am trying to decide the best way to use it...all the threads on here on this topic have been great, but I'm still confused about this.

DHood

Reaction score
so what this is saying is that if you want to use the GV Visual Voicemail feature with your Verizon number is that it cost minutes when people leave a VM for you AND when you then check that VM, be it through the app or by calling? Can someone who uses GV in this way (GV VM on Verizon #) please clarify.

I just got an invite and am trying to decide the best way to use it...all the threads on here on this topic have been great, but I'm still confused about this.

I just got an invite and set it up the other day, I'm gonna have a few people start using that number after I add it to my circle, I'll let you know how it works for me.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Google Voice Calls ARE Charged Against Verizon Account

They were slow adding the numbers, and so it did look very misleading. I've been following since yesterday two particular calls I made at 8:42 and and 10:27. I followed it all day yesterday and this morning as well. Even though the update times were showing todays update neither one of those calls showed up as being charged against my Verizon account.

Until I just looked 5 minutes ago. Both calls were on there, identical number (not the number I called) and at the correct time.

I was wrong!!

And I admit it. It seems there is no way to make a free call without using the friends and family method. So I guess we can put that issue to bed now.

I apologize for the misinformation.

Fraxinus

Reaction score
It seems there is no way to make a free call without using the friends and family method. So I guess we can put that issue to bed now.

No worries Hook. Thanks for following up on this and letting everyone know. I agree, their usage tracker definitely leaves something to be desired!

...is that it cost minutes when people leave a VM for you AND when you then check that VM, be it through the app or by calling? Can someone who uses GV in this way (GV VM on Verizon #) please clarify.

My understanding is that it consumes minutes while someone leaves you a message. If you call in for your voice messages it will also consume minutes (whether your use GV to call in, or simply dial your GV number from the standard dialer). If you use the GV app to check your VMs though, it will only use data. So when you read your transcripts or listen to the recordings from within the app, you're good.