Google Voice - what is it & what does it do for me?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by deanie, Jan 14, 2010.

1. deanie

deanie New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I've received an invitation to Google Voice, but before I accept it I would like to know if anyone can explain exactly how it works and why I should use it. IF I use it I would be using only my current cell number and not connecting all of my numbers if that helps.

Thanks!
    ~Deanie

2. mrnelson86

mrnelson86 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just got voice as well, I chose to get a google number rather than just linking my cell phone number to it. You can link your cell to the google number which works just as well in my opinion, and then have the option of adding more numbers later. Voice is cool but under my current plan (and contract) it is not as useful as it could be. I only use it to manage my voicemail and for international calls so that you don't incur the extra fees. I already have unlimited texts and my minutes are limited to a family share plan, which would affect me using google voice all the time (it counts as calling out to call through your voice number on your cell phone)

3. paul07ss

paul07ss New Member

Ratings:
    +0
  4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    You can use google voice to make free calls from your Droid. That way you won't have to worry about going over your limit. You can have a different number that you would give out to whomever so when your incoming calls come through they will also not be charged to your plan.

Google Voice provides free SMS, although I still have the 250 text message plan if you text a lot you may be able to get rid of your text plan all together or switch to one that has a lower amount of text.

Google Voice also provides Voice Mail and other services related to voice mail. I'm not familiar with these services, I don't use them but I believe you can have your voice mail in transcripts.

By all means except your invitation, as you can see people are always looking for invites so if you've got one, take advantage of it.

5. deanie

deanie New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I guess it would help in answering my question to know that I am on Verizon, pretty sure I pay $10 for unlimited text M2M + 500.

I use my cell number for business, so I won't be changing to a Google number - unless there is some benefit to it that I'm missing.

From what I've read here the GV would give me "Visual Voicemail" for free, but how does that work?

6. vonfink13

vonfink13 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    i use mine to get my voice-mails on cell number turned into text messages and/or e-mails....it is really helpful if you are in long meetings and just cant take the call...

7. deanie

deanie New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow - so, maybe I should get the Google number??? And free SMS??!! That would be fantastic! How are they doing this for free? Verizon doesn't have some way to charge around this??

I'm definitely going to accept, I just want to make sure I make the right choice as to whether to use my number or get a Google number. It says on my invite that I cannot toggle between the two. Yet, the info is vague as to the benefits/disadvantages to either option.

Thanks for all the answers so far! You guys are great! Keep the info coming.

8. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8

Just make sure when you set up that you don't have your incoming text forwarded to your Verizon number. They do the texting by converting the text to data, that's why there is not text fee.

Be aware that you cannot do MMS with Google. You will still need a Verizon plan for that but you can take a cheaper plan like I did.

One other thing. Google does charge for overseas calls, however they are only .10 a minute.

9. mrnelson86

mrnelson86 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Please be careful about your calls and text messages. In theory you can make free calls and free texts, but BE CAREFUL HOW YOU DO IT.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-faq/2758-google-voice-faq.html

Refer to this thread and there are many others if you do a search. Using google voice on your cell phone will rack up your minutes so cancelling all minutes and text plans and just keeping your data plan SHOULD NOT be an option. There may be some way to do it, but I haven't figured out a way yet. Google voice is very good and very cool, and there are ways to use it to your advantage (such as if you have a family share plan with the ten numbers or whatever that you call for free, making your google voice number one of the free ones will let you have "free" minutes to everyone you call) but I don't have one of those plans. If anyone could just get a google voice account and never pay verizon for minutes or texts, then verizon wouldn't be happy. Feel free to use voice and don't let me discourage you, but just be careful how you use google voice and don't get screwed on your next bill!

10. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Using Google Voice on your phone will not have minutes count against your phone if you set it up properly. I do agree after you set up you should monitor your Verizon account by going to My Verizon to make sure you are not getting charged. I found out I was getting charged for receiving text messages but I changed that by unchecking forward text to my Verizon number. I have never been charged for making a call using the Google Voice number. You can see any charges in the details of your My Verizon account.

11. mrnelson86

mrnelson86 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Like I said be careful how you use it, if you go through the google voice app I don't think there are any problems but if you try and use your regular phone app there can be issues...I haven't done it yet since I just got GVoice but I read many threads on this site and I'm just trying to keep people from getting burned

12. deanie

deanie New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK, more help! I'm trying to set up the GV with a Google number, but it says there is nothing available in my zip code. And if I search by area code, all of the cities are long distance from here. Does this mean that my local contacts would have to place a long distance call to use my Google number? I don't see a benefit in that!?

Search tags for this page
302-231-2857
explain google voice to me
google voice could not verify phone number
google voice what does it do
is phone number(302)231-2857 a google voice number?
what can google voice do

what does google voice do

what does google voice do for me
what does google voice do?
what does google voice let me do