Google Voice: Anyone cancel their texting plans?

Thefamous1

Reaction score
Anyone using Google Voice and decide to cancel their texting plans?

I'm debating about doing so. Can you cancel your minutes as well?

Slothead

Reaction score
Texting? I know nothing about texting, but I am really impressed with the way Voice works! My wife called me the other day, and even without using the Voice phone number GV digitized her voicemail (I guess because she called on of the subscribed phones) and I got an email that she had called. Good work Google. I am still learning about it. (I wish that Voice had the good tutorials that Wave has.)

techguru

Reaction score
I cancelled my text plan. However, if you subscribe to any service like msnbc breaking news or numerous other text services, they can't text to a gv number. Luckily the only services I subscribed to also have email options so I just swiotched them to my gmail address.

Using google voice uses your minutes, so you can't cancel those.

Alan

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Alan

That's not my experience. If you call out on your Google Voice number it should not get charged against your minutes. However your's is not the first post I've seen saying this. Prior to getting my Droid I was able to do it that way, I don't understand why it would be different now.

droiddoes1912

Reaction score
If you add your GV and the access number to your Friends & Family, it will be free. But, that is saying that your access number stays the same. For the most part it should, but I heard if you travel it will change.

backlash

Reaction score
Never had a text plan with Verizon to begin with, but I've been using GV for sms messaging since I've had the phone (end of Nov). It's been working out great.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have GV, but I do not see how you can send Text messages via GV..

can some one explain as I have been hearing about GV and texting over on HoFo since GV came out.

the way I understand it is if I have a missed call GV will send me an email or SMS or both in text format....

-=Jason=-

Vindii

Reaction score

Alan

That's not my experience. If you call out on your Google Voice number it should not get charged against your minutes. However your's is not the first post I've seen saying this. Prior to getting my Droid I was able to do it that way, I don't understand why it would be different now.

Where do the minutes that you used to call your google voice number go then?

My understanding is that unless you have a family and friends package and assign your GV number as one of ytour friends you still use minutes.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yep canceled and blocked text from Verizon.

Same here, but should be noted that GV can't handle MSM messages, so just make sure your friends know to email you any multi-media stuff. Works great.

OH, be sure to turn forwarding OFF from in GV (it's on by default), especially if you don't disable txting completely on your phone.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm confused, how do you text with Google Voice?
X2 and can you use Handcent in-cahoots with GV

-=Jason=-

EDIT: fuggit I did a google search and came up with this
How to SMS with Google Voice from Any Mobile Phone - Google Voice - Lifehacker

First, log into Google Voice and configure it to forward text messages to your cell phone. When someone sends a text message to your Google Voice number, you'll receive the text on your phone--but not from the recipient's phone number. Instead, it will be a 406 number you've never seen before, with the person's name preceding the message (as pictured here). Add that number to your recipient's address book entry as "Other" or a custom label (like "GV SMS"). Each one of your text recipients will have a different 406 number.
From there on in, if you SMS that 406 number, your recipient will receive text messages from you--and it will look like they're coming from your Google Voice number. Their replies to any messages you send to that number will go back to your Google Voice number and come to you via the 406--meaning, your recipient never sees the 406 number. Like I said, it's a kluge, but it works.

bluedust

Reaction score
I'm confused, how do you text with Google Voice?

Click on your "voice" icon for Google Voice > hit your "Menu" button > hit "Compose" > and do everything as you normally would to send a normal text message.

Still confused, how do you click on the GV icon without it automatically opening the app? Unless you mean hit Menu once inside the app, in which case I have no Compose function anywhere. Or are you guys logging into the web version of GV on your phones?