Google Voice: Anyone cancel their texting plans?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
You're answering whatever number is displayed on your device when they call you. What shows up depends on your GV settings. If you have GV caller ID set up to show your own GV number then all inbound calls come from your GV number. Otherwise they're from your callers' own numbers.

so all you need to do is add the google routing number to your friends and family.
I see where the confusion comes from. The statement above is missing "in order to have free outbound calls". Adding the access number to F&F is irrelevant for inbound calls.

BigMcGuire, so calling through the GV app, or the "call through Google Voice" option for those who chose to have it ask, calls the 512 (that GV gave me, we'll call THE Google Voice number) behind the scenes
It's generally referred to as the "access" or "routing" number.

So basically what I am gathering here is that I have been going about this the wrong way.

You guys are saying that if I try to call someone, and the dialog box pops up asking if I want to call using google voice and I hit yes that it wont save me minutes even after I add the number it uses to my friends and family list?
Um, no. If you add the access number you'll have free outbound calls. It's pretty straightforward if you think about it:

1. Your GV number is not a mobile number on your carrier.
2. The access number used by GV isn't either. It is used for all outbound calls.
2. Your F&F list exists so you can get free calls to those on the list.

If in doubt, set things and check your usage online to verify.

Last edited:

Bdog

Reaction score
So, basically in order to get incoming calls without using up minutes, I'll have to set it where I can't tell who's calling?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
In order to get all free inbound calls you do.

Your F&F list still applies the same as it ever did.

Bdog

Reaction score
And I would still need to put both the routing and GV numbers onto my F&F list?

paulhusker

Reaction score
And I would still need to put both the routing and GV numbers onto my F&F list?

Yes

Someone earlier mentioned something that got me to thinking for those of us w/ only one F&F #. Is there an option on our phones to forward all calls to one number like our Google #? Then when someone calls, that call would be forwarded to our Google # and then back to our own phone. You would be calling and receiving at the same time a call from the one F&F you get. That way if someone is calling you from a landline or non Verizon #, it would not eat up your minutes, correct??

Last edited:

Bdog

Reaction score
^ From what I've gathered, if you set your Google Voice number into your F&F, you will get incoming calls without using minutes so long as you have the setting where your number calls you (Settings > Calls > Caller ID (in) Display my Google Voice Number). You can also get free outgoing calls by calling your GV number and then forward a call through option 2 (but will require you to have to dial in the number you want).