Google Voice: Anyone cancel their texting plans?

timp

Reaction score
I too have been solely using GV for texting since I got my droid. That's the main reason I switched to a smartphone: so that I no longer need to pay for texting. It works perfectly, and I never have more than a minute lag for texts sending or receiving. I just wish handcent or sms popup worked with GV.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Personally it doesnt sound like its very convenient for texting use then. I'll continue to use my unlimited Verizon text package for zero lag time and MMS capability.
YMMV. It's not any less convenient than any other option IMO and there's no lag. There's no MMS but I personally don't use it anyway.

I just wish handcent or sms popup worked with GV.
You can use any of the messaging apps if you enable SMS forwarding.

However, if your goal was to eliminate paying for texting then that would defeat the purpose of using GV in your case.

I can't imagine that pepole are still paying a monthly text plan.
As with any decision, different people have different reasons. I can't get my better half to switch to GV so we have a texting package. A lot of people aren't very happy with how bare bones the GV app is for texting compared to other texting apps. Others don't even use or want to use GV. Etc etc...

Last edited:

paulhusker

Reaction score
Anybody know if we'll ever have the ability to receive texts from say a news source on our Google Voice #?

I also tried sending a text to myself via my Yahoo mail page and got the message that this phone # is either incorrect or cannot receive moblie texts at this time.

Gunz

Reaction score
Ok, I have Gv and really love the fact I recieve my voicemail in an inbox in transcript. I do not have to listen to every message. Just click the one I want. I have the friends and family plan so what is the number that I need to place in the list? What is the access number?

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Ok, I have Gv and really love the fact I recieve my voicemail in an inbox in transcript. I do not have to listen to every message. Just click the one I want. I have the friends and family plan so what is the number that I need to place in the list? What is the access number?

For me it is a 916 number. The way you tell is to install the GoogleVoice app on your phone then call someone. When it asks you to call with google voicw, choose that. Then you'll see a number in a small rectangular box while your phone calls. That is the number you want to add to your friends and family. Btw, that number hasn't changed for me for over 5 months. Happy unlimited calling. :)

paulhusker

Reaction score

For me it is a 916 number. The way you tell is to install the GoogleVoice app on your phone then call someone. When it asks you to call with google voicw, choose that. Then you'll see a number in a small rectangular box while your phone calls. That is the number you want to add to your friends and family. Btw, that number hasn't changed for me for over 5 months. Happy unlimited calling. :)

McGuire, Do you also have your Google # as a F&F # in addition to your Google Voice access #? I've found my phone dials my GV # when I get a voicemail. I only have one F&F # since I have the elcheapo plan so I have my GV# as the F&F#.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Yes - I have both - my google voice number and that 916 number it uses to make calls via the google voice app :D

I just listen to voicemail on my computer or via the google voice app (so no need to add my google voice number to Friends and Family if I really wanted). -- add that 916 number the google voice app uses when you make calls out.

I wonder what number it uses when people call your google voice number too. hmmm. :/

I'd say just add whatever number you use the most. If you do a lot of OUT calling - have that 916 number as your friends and family. But if a lot of people call you most of the time, use your google voice number.

Bdog

Reaction score
I've been all around the internet, and practically given up. I've read hints in the FAQ at the GV site, but they were all too vague to get anything solid out of them. So, from what I can tell, I can set my GV number into my F&F list, and forward calls through it for free. After finding this thread, I may have gotten some answers, but it also brought up more questions.

According to gathered information from the FAQs, I can call my GV number (the local number I set up), type my pin, and then press 2 and dial the number I want to call. It's a bit of a hassle, having to manually dial in people's numbers (oh technology, you have spoiled us all), but I figured if there's no easier way, I'll cope.

After suffering through the first few pages here before finding people with real answers, the whole forward through my local number thing doesn't seem to be the way to go about this. When I call a contact through GV, I get a box saying so, through a 512 number. I have no one to test with, so I don't know if that number shows up on them, or if my local number does.

So can anyone clarify this a little more for me? I want to be able to add only ONE number to my F&F list, as I only have 2 positions left, and plan on setting my sister's phone the same way to cut down text and minute prices.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
If you're going to add 1 number to your family and friends - add your google voice number. Just, you won't be able to use the Google Voice app to call people directly from your phone. You'll have to call your google voice number, hit 2, then dial the number each time.

That 512 number is a number Google Voice App creates to allow you to call instantly without any setup. For me, my 916 number has been the same for outgoing calls. I am on a family plan with a friend so I've added both numbers (my Google Voice and 916 number) and have no problems and no minute charges.

Bdog

Reaction score
Hmm, okay. Now, if I call using the 512 number, does that show up on other people's caller ID, or does my Google number show?

xxacexx2

Reaction score
hmm

So basically what I am gathering here is that I have been going about this the wrong way.

You guys are saying that if I try to call someone, and the dialog box pops up asking if I want to call using google voice and I hit yes that it wont save me minutes even after I add the number it uses to my friends and family list?

You guys are saying that I have to call some number and hit 2 and all this instead??

Please clarify!!

Bdog

Reaction score
BigMcGuire, so calling through the GV app, or the "call through Google Voice" option for those who chose to have it ask, calls the 512 (that GV gave me, we'll call THE Google Voice number) behind the scenes, and then the other number (that I chose, that we'll call MY/YOUR GV number) shows on people's caller ID, right? And if that 512 number is on my Friends & Family, I will not use any minutes?

Sorry if I'm making you repeat yourself, I'm trying to alleviate any confusion for myself and any others that come across.

nerdkill

Reaction score
google voice is just a call forwarding service. so when you call using google voice it routes to the google servers and then the server sends it to whoever you're calling. when someone calls you through your google voice number they're calling the google servers, then the servers route the call however you have your settings set up. so all you need to do is add the google routing number to your friends and family. if you look at your bill you'll see that every time you call via google voice you're actually calling the same number. just add that number to your friends and family.

Bdog

Reaction score
So, it's established that the number given to us by Google (in my case 512, BigMcGuire 916, etc) will not charge any OUTGOING minutes if put into our F&F plan.

Does that work the same way for INCOMING calls as well? When people call me, and they show up on my caller ID, am I answering THEIR number or Google's routing number?

Last edited: