Google Services over Android (how important is Android)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
2d_mZJA_4hg2t672u80qxYZNhKiPQrdFgbZH8i_gbgaafI2g8O9qbCpxKTn4J2iVvJCT=h310

Manufacturers that use Google prefer using their own set up over stock Android and Google could concentrate on the one thing they have complete control over in their Google Services. Whether the person choose Apple, Windows, Blackberry, Samsung etc they will still have an option to the suite of Google Play Apps and Services despite what the UI look like.

For those of us who like to root and tinker this could be a nightmare but as much as I love Android I wonder if it is going to get to a point where Google fade from Android being the center to it becoming just a side project again with the main focus shifting elsewhere?

Unlike Android, their suite of apps and services can be marketed to the competitor. Blackberry has already caved and Windows is now looking to the Android Market. And despite how vast the iTunes App store is Google has made its presence more, so much so Apple is rethinking its strategy on keeping their apps exclusive.

Thoughts?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking? Are you pondering whether Google will become less focused on making android better and spend more time on their apps/services that can be installed across different OSes?

I don't see that happening at all. I hardly think Apple gearing up to open up their music service available to android users is a sign that they're rethinking their entire strategy of keeping their apps exclusive. This one's a no-brainer. It's guaranteed to make them money. After your free trial is up, you either dump the service, or start paying them monthly.

As for Google abandoning Android in favor of their smaller apps and services, I don't see that happening either. Sure, they get more users of their apps and services since they're cross-platform, but android is the perfect vehicle for their apps. Where Windows phone, Blackberry, and iOS users will use their apps and services, they'll have to go more out of their way to do so than android users do (depending on the OEM of your device, anyway).

I think it's safe to say that Google is heavily invested in Android and not going to shift focus off of it. Look at this new shakeup where they created Alphabet and split Google off as a subsidiary. Android is one of, if not THE biggest projects in Google's new smaller wheelhouse.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking? Are you pondering whether Google will become less focused on making android better and spend more time on their apps/services that can be installed across different OSes?

I don't see that happening at all. I hardly think Apple gearing up to open up their music service available to android users is a sign that they're rethinking their entire strategy of keeping their apps exclusive. This one's a no-brainer. It's guaranteed to make them money. After your free trial is up, you either dump the service, or start paying them monthly.

As for Google abandoning Android in favor of their smaller apps and services, I don't see that happening either. Sure, they get more users of their apps and services since they're cross-platform, but android is the perfect vehicle for their apps. Where Windows phone, Blackberry, and iOS users will use their apps and services, they'll have to go more out of their way to do so than android users do (depending on the OEM of your device, anyway).

I think it's safe to say that Google is heavily invested in Android and not going to shift focus off of it. Look at this new shakeup where they created Alphabet and split Google off as a subsidiary. Android is one of, if not THE biggest projects in Google's new smaller wheelhouse.

That was what I was asking, though I'll admit poorly worded. With Google Play and Services being the only thing left that Google has complete control over I was thinking about that. For one Android can be installed and used by companies like Amazon for free while not even allowing its users to utilize the Play Store. Anyone can download the Android SDK, which is open source, and build whatever without Google earning a cent... where as GPaS is actually earning Google money. Companies tend to lean toward what makes them money.

But you made a good point in your post.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Don't forget that Google is an advertising company first and foremost. Thought they're not making money off of each device that has android or a version of it on there, they're still able to collect at least SOME anonymized data about each user and sell adspace left and right based on their demographics info and formulas. So, in a roundabout way, they are making money off of android users, even if android itself doesn't have a price tag.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I read something similar the other day. Still doesn't strike me as any kind of sign that Google would abandon android in favor of just their apps/services. Especially with the break up and Google now being under Alphabet. Many of the other projects that Google owned are now sister companies to Google, with Google more directly focused on far fewer things, Android being at the top of that list imo.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I read something similar the other day. Still doesn't strike me as any kind of sign that Google would abandon android in favor of just their apps/services. Especially with the break up and Google now being under Alphabet. Many of the other projects that Google owned are now sister companies to Google, with Google more directly focused on far fewer things, Android being at the top of that list imo.

Actually that link had nothing to do with my idea of Google abandoning android I was just looking to post it in this thread since we were discussing Google Services vs starting another thread. I see I should have not been lazy and just started a new thread.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Haha! I figured you were alluding to maybe the fact that they're requiring less of their apps to be included if folks want to use the gapps suite and have the Play store and gmail was a sign that they were getting less focused on android as a whole, but I guess that logic doesn't really add up, since those apps are kinda the services we're talking about here that they're not forcing on people so much anymore.