Google says a fix is coming tomorrow for Wi-Fi Problems

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
google-wifi-issue.png

Google has indirectly responded to a widely talked about wi-fi issue on a Google Home support page, in which the company acknowledges the existence and cause of the problem, promising a fix tomorrow.

Summary of Issue
In certain situations, a bug in the Cast software on Android phones may incorrectly send a large amount of network traffic which can slow down or temporarily impact Wi-Fi networks. The specific impact to the network will vary depending on the router.

Who is impacted?
People with an Android phone and a Chromecast built-in device (such as a Chromecast or Google Home device) on the same Wi-Fi network may experience this issue.

Solution and next steps
The team has identified the issue and is actively releasing a fix, which will start rolling out via a Google Play services update this Thursday, January 18.

ln the meantime, try rebooting your Android phone, and check that your Wi-Fi router is running the most recent firmware version.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Thanks for sharing the info @danDroid. I'm pretty sure my Home (or Home Mini) had this issue about 2 weeks ago and killed my Wifi for a little while until I rebooted my router. Didn't really put it together until I saw this in my News feed yesterday. At least Google has acknowledged it and working on a fix.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

legalkill

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force
I had to take the old asus router that I thought was broken and add it back as a secondary wifi so that my wife could actually work and so son could actually rage about losing and not because of connection. I got the ORBI as an expensive replacement and Netgear had no idea this was actually a thing.

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Other than this little google hiccup.. what do you think about the ORBI system?
Thanks for sharing the info @danDroid. I'm pretty sure my Home (or Home Mini) had this issue about 2 weeks ago and killed my Wifi for a little while until I rebooted my router. Didn't really put it together until I saw this in my News feed yesterday. At least Google has acknowledged it and working on a fix.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro

Was that question (& quote) meant for legalkill instead of me? :)

legalkill

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force

Other than being ridiculously expensive, it has great coverage like mesh should. Waiting on the google issues to see if the disconnects were actually google i guess. It is fast and the satellites having wired ports is actually nice. I have the main in the center of my house and the satellites fanned on upstairs and basement office corners of the house. When it works is great, streaming is good on chromecasts and smart devices. I have 2 security cams and a ring doorbell on it as well. All in all about 20-30 devices connect on our network at any given time. During the time I actually got it because I thought there were router issues, Comcast was having are outages as well, but its testing 89 MBPS down and 18 MBPS up on a 75 MB Business plan, which is better than average testing on the old ASUS. I offset cost but having the kids chip in towards it (adult kids who hog most of the bandwidth anyway).