Google Announces New Chromecast & Chromecast Audio; Full Specs, Features, Pricing and Release Date

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
new-chromecast-2015.JPG

After discussing a few things regarding Marshmallow and Google's new Nexus services, Google then announced their new version of the Chromecast. As you can see from the image above, the outside of the device has received a makeover. On top of that there are a number of improvements. Here are the new details for the second gen Chromecast,
  • 5GHz Wi-Fi
  • Fast Play - allows users to connect the Chromecast to other devices in their home faster than the previous model
  • New TV apps including Showtime, Sling TV, NBA, NHL and Spotify
  • Improved Chromecast App
  • See what’s trending on YouTube
  • See the latest movie rentals from Google Play Movies
  • See which games are streaming on the multiple sports apps available for Chromecast
  • In the Devices tab of the new app, you can control any device connected to Chromecast
That's not all though. Google also announced a new audio-centric media device called the Chromecast Audio. Here are its details,
  • Plugs into speaker with a 3.5mm headphone cable - lets users stream audio over Wi-Fi
  • Also supports RCA and optical input
  • Automatically works with devices which are connected to your network
  • Built-in support for Spotify, Pandora, Google Play Music, iHeartRadio and TuneIn Radio.
  • Can Stream music from the cloud
  • Unlike the Chromecast, the Chromecast Audio will need to be plugged in at all times
The Chromecast and Chromecast Audio are both just $35, and will be available starting today.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I'm probably the only one who's psych'd about the CC Audio. That thing is about to save me at least $300. I've been looking at how I was going to wire my backyard and deck for music and I was going to have to do a Sonos Amp system and outdoor speakers. The Sonos Amp by itself is $500. For the price of the Sonos Amp by itself I can get the CC Audio, a nice 150W amp, top of the line outdoor speakers (got a hookup for a set of Episode speakers), speaker wire, and mounting posts. DONE.

THANK YOU GOOGLE!

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I have 2 as well, might need a new toy...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I'm probably the only one who's psych'd about the CC Audio. That thing is about to save me at least $300. I've been looking at how I was going to wire my backyard and deck for music and I was going to have to do a Sonos Amp system and outdoor speakers. The Sonos Amp by itself is $500. For the price of the Sonos Amp by itself I can get the CC Audio, a nice 150W amp, top of the line outdoor speakers (got a hookup for a set of Episode speakers), speaker wire, and mounting posts. DONE.

THANK YOU GOOGLE!
I have the earlier Sonos system, the CR100 Controller and two of the ZP80 (Zone Player), streaming connections, one for the family room and the other for the bedroom. I love it. I haven't moved to any of the new stuff but I do have the controller app on my phone so it's pretty cool.

My system is exactly like below.

e6c3373464cf4e00c566072c403bb992.jpg

I will have to give this a try though.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
For all the tech out there - and maybe Chromecast does this but it doesn't seem like it - sometimes you want to listen over a bluetooth headset late at night. Yet not even decent mid-range A/V receivers offer this (and there's only a few high-ends, if that). I don't think tv's offer it.

They all only RECEIVE signals over bluetooth. Yes, you can buy adapters and I have one - it's really not tolerable between static and lag.

I realize there's probably not much demand, but it's probably only a few bucks of cost. I guess wireless headsets are out there that may work, but I like earbuds.

Well, at least when I convert my laptop to a media center and connect it I'll be able to listen with bluetooth (I think) to whatever content I can access on the laptop.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Not sure I get the new 'design' asthetic. It hides behind your TV and in most cases isn't visible at all. It's now round so could possibly block access to another port on your TV.

Chromecast Audio will need to be plugged in at all times

Huh???

They all only RECEIVE signals over bluetooth. Yes, you can buy adapters and I have one - it's really not tolerable between static and lag.

You need to try a better adapter. I have one I use in my car and there is ZERO interference and... well not sure about lag because I don't see people talking but....

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
It has to be plugged in at all times because it can't draw enough power from the 3.5 speaker jack. Where as the regular Chromecast can get its power from the HDMI port on your TV.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
No. Unless this has changed the original Chromecast gets its power from a micro usb connection. You have to plug it into a USB port as well as the HDMI.

chromecast1.jpg

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
It has to be plugged in at all times because it can't draw enough power from the 3.5 speaker jack. Where as the regular Chromecast can get its power from the HDMI port on your TV.
As far as I know HDMI isn't powered...

That being said... I do like my Chromecast... But like PereDroid said, the new look might hinder other ports and that's not good.

sent from #8

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Yes, like dusty said the original Chromecast gets power from usb to wall wort, not through HDMI

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Correct, most HDMI ports aren't powered and weren't designed to power peripherals. That said, the newer model t.v. sets with HDMI 1.4 should be able to power streaming dongles like the new Chromecast.

Not a fan of the new look of this device, but fortunately it's hidden from sight so there's that.