Google Reader is Shutting Down in July 2013 but Petition to Keep it Exists

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Mar 14, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

If you are one of the users of Google Reader, your probably caught wind of the news late yesterday that Google will be shelving the product in July of this year. Google announced it as part of a second "spring cleaning." If you hadn't hear it yet, now is your notice. What may also be of interest to you is that a petition exists to try and coerce Google into keeping it going. It already has almost 50,000 signatures.

Here's a statement from Google about the service shutting down,

The petition to keep the service was started by Dan Lewis, and here is a quote with his impassioned plea,

Here's a link to the Petition if you would like to see it saved: https://www.change.org/petitions/google-keep-google-reader-running

One last interesting tidbit to note is a theory rolling around the web that the service will actually be resurrected in some capacity but will likely be integrated within Google+ in some way. ~ Ars Technica

There is definite logic to this argument as Google has been working hard to organize and consolidate their products and services around a cohesive ecosystem. Of course, that doesn't mean a separate version can't also exist, so feel free to add your signature to the petition if you want to see it live.

Thanks for the tip, grenefroggie!

2. xeene

xeene Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,049
    Signed!

3. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +941
    I was just about to start cranking this thing up with Pure's News reader. I've struggled to find good RSS widgets - either the widget stinks or the feed options/update are lacking. Back to the drawing board.

4. debdroid1a

debdroid1a Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I signed too. I found this discussion searching for an alternative, but I like this. I read it on Flipboard and it works great on there.

5. rherron

rherron Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Plenty of clones already. Check out theoldreadsr. Digg, I believe, is making a clone. There are others.

6. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +941
    Which may (if the developer re-programs) or may not work for people that use widgets that rely on Google Reader.

Search tags for this page

bionic droid keeps shutting down 2013