Google Play Addition Phones Come With Some New UI Goodies.

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
htc-one-google-play.jpg

The HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Editions were both released to the Google Play Store today. These have also been available to some media persons for who have released some details on the new devices. They do come with Stock 4.2.2 Android, but they also come with some interesting new goodies. There is a new Camera UI. The new UI comes with a new stacked menu. This is similar to what we saw from the earlier leaked build that was then labeled 4.3. The new stacked menu in the camera will make navigation of settings and functions much easier.

There is also a new Red Phase Beam wallpaper seen above. Phase Beam has always been purple and blue. Red Phase Beam is available for download in the Play Store. The app drawer launcher is 4x5 where as the app drawer launcher on the Nexus 4 is 5x5. There is also a new bootanimation that was specifically made for these Google Experience devices. These devices look great. I really hope consumers flock to them showing OEMs that we don't necessarily need skinned devices.

Via ComputerWorld

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Pretty cool concept. But out of curiosity I took a peek, and $600 for the One and $650 for the S4. I'd love someday to own a Google Experience phone, but in my case:

- I'm planning to stay with Verizon (month-to-month contract, unlimited data) long-term -> portability not an issue
- I can upgrade a feature-phone line to a new smartphone at $200, then move the new phone to my unlimited line -> a lot cheaper than $600

For me it just doesn't make $en$e to spend the extra $400-$450 over what I'll already pay for a new phone to get the fully vanilla, unlocked experience. As far as vanilla goes, I can root either phone and install an AOSP ROM, and as far as unlocked (i.e., carrier portability) I'm not the type who switches carriers every few months. Interestingly, the *one* feature that stands out to me as really tempting is to move the carrier out of the OS update equation -- now THAT'S something I'd pay to get (just not that much).

In short: I wonder if we'll ever see phones like these between $300-$400, like the Nexus 4. At their current prices it's not enough of a lure. :(

-Matt

Asgard

Reaction score
It affects if you take into consideration the extra money that they charge for a subsidized phone. I'm waiting for my verizon contract to end so I can go to Tmobile or sprint on a non-contract.

Also it might not affect as hard here, but for instance in Mexico they sell the nexus 4 for 3 times the price off-contract and 1.8 times the price on contract.
I bought one here for my sister in law, and even with the cost of international shipping, it was cheaper than the price of it there.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
It affects if you take into consideration the extra money that they charge for a subsidized phone.
This would make more sense if carriers had a BYOD (bring your own device) policy, that is, pay $X monthly if you bring your own phone VERSUS pay $X +subsidy fee if you buy an upgraded/discounted phone from us (which is kind of the new TMo promotion, right?). But at least at Verizon, the contract prices are the same either way. And I'm currently month-to-month on our 4 lines, and the monthly cost is the same as it's been for a few years (going month-to-month didn't lower our costs).

I'd always imagined the European model was "lower monthly usage costs" which are offset by no subsidies for phones. But it seems that Europe (and elsewhere) actually pays quite a bit more for the hardware than we do. Strange world we live in.

-Matt

Ophus

Reaction score
Pretty cool concept. But out of curiosity I took a peek, and $600 for the One and $650 for the S4. I'd love someday to own a Google Experience phone, but in my case:

- I'm planning to stay with Verizon (month-to-month contract, unlimited data) long-term -> portability not an issue
- I can upgrade a feature-phone line to a new smartphone at $200, then move the new phone to my unlimited line -> a lot cheaper than $600

For me it just doesn't make $en$e to spend the extra $400-$450 over what I'll already pay for a new phone to get the fully vanilla, unlocked experience. As far as vanilla goes, I can root either phone and install an AOSP ROM, and as far as unlocked (i.e., carrier portability) I'm not the type who switches carriers every few months. Interestingly, the *one* feature that stands out to me as really tempting is to move the carrier out of the OS update equation -- now THAT'S something I'd pay to get (just not that much).

In short: I wonder if we'll ever see phones like these between $300-$400, like the Nexus 4. At their current prices it's not enough of a lure. :(

-Matt

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Verizon get rid of being able to upgrade a feature phone line with a smartphone? I think they only allow you to upgrade for like devices now, for example a smartphone upgrade can only be done on a line with a smartphone. You can still move upgrades from line to line, but it has to be the same category of device.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Verizon get rid of being able to upgrade a feature phone line with a smartphone? I think they only allow you to upgrade for like devices now, for example a smartphone upgrade can only be done on a line with a smartphone. You can still move upgrades from line to line, but it has to be the same category of device.
You may be right -- I'm going off of discussions like this:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/sa...rade-unlimited-data-question.html#post2431805

Its only a contract for the line, for me i have an extra account so i can upgrade and not loose unlimited data its cheaper to keep it at 14 bucks a month plus the phone got it for 179 and the 2 year contract = about 520 bucks way cheaper then buying the phone outright and not worrying about going over 2gigs a month. I put my flip phone the same day i got the S4.

I'll know for sure by the end of summer.

EDIT: I might also mention -- 2 of our 4 lines are the old, unlimited plans -- but 1 of the other 4 is a smartphone with 2GB at $30/month. That last phone is month-to-month, so if I use the upgrade on that line the only net change to our account once all the switching is done is we lock that line into a new 2-year contract.

-Matt

Last edited:

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Interestingly, the *one* feature that stands out to me as really tempting is to move the carrier out of the OS update equation -- now THAT'S something I'd pay to get (just not that much).

I felt the same way until I read that HTC and Samsung will be responsible for providing the OTA's for these devices. That doesn't leave me with a whole lot of confidence that updates for either of these phones will be released in a timely manner. I might still go with one of these as my next device, but it's somewhat discouraging to think that perhaps neither of them will be supported in AOSP. Even though the carriers are taken out of the equation, you still may receive delayed OS updates compared to Nexus devices.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I felt the same way until I read that HTC and Samsung will be responsible for providing the OTA's for these devices. That doesn't leave me with a whole lot of confidence that updates for either of these phones will be released in a timely manner. I might still go with one of these as my next device, but it's somewhat discouraging to think that perhaps neither of them will be supported in AOSP. Even though the carriers are taken out of the equation, you still may receive delayed OS updates compared to Nexus devices.
That's the worst news I've heard all day. I don't know whether to thank you for pointing it out, or to go sulk in a corner for an hour. :(

-Matt