Google Officially Announces Hangouts Unified Messaging Service

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-plus-hangouts.png

For weeks now we have been hearing rumors about a new Hangouts unified messaging service from Google. Today at Google I/O they made it official and shared the details,
  • Hangouts combines all Google messaging services including Google Talk, Google+ Hangouts and Google Messenger
  • It will be available starting Wednesday on Google Chrome OS, Android and iOS
  • It can also be accessed through desktop versions of Google+ and Gmail
  • Hangouts will also allow users to save text, images and videos from any of their chats conducted across all platforms
  • It will also allow you to access them through Google’s cloud storage service
  • Hangouts will also let users start video calls with up to 10 people at the same time
Even though Google hasn't really announced any cool new gadgets (other than the unlocked pure Android SGS4), it is obvious they have been focusing hardcore on developing better software experiences. It's sometimes easy to forget that not all major technological advances are physical objects. Software is what drives our devices to do so much, and it's developers that make this amazing stuff possible.

Source: Google I/O

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Even though Google hasn't really announced any cool new gadgets (other than the unlocked pure Android SGS4), it is obvious they have been focusing hardcore on developing better software experiences. It's sometimes easy to forget that not all major technological advances are physical objects. Software is what drives our devices to do so much, and it's developers that make this amazing stuff possible.

Source: Google I/O
Meaning: no reason to hope for a Nexus 7 announcement? :icon_ cry:

-Matt

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah... I know Matt. Sad too, but at least the software advancements they made were pretty awesome. Also, there's no reason we won't see a new Nexus 7 (and other devices) launched later in the year with their own separate events. ;)

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
There was also no mention of 4.3, which I was definitely expecting. :mellow:

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah... I was surprised by this too.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Am I the only one who was hoping to hear something about Google TV? :p

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys but Im kinda glad because this way it gives me time too pay off this One and be ready too fork over about 400 for my N5.Now if you guys can convince dgstorm(sorry dgstorm,hope you enjoyed your vacation:D) too pay off this One for me,Ill talk Google into releasing your beloved N7.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who was hoping to hear something about Google TV? :p

Yep. :D

(jk bro... I was surprised about it too.)

Last edited:
OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys but Im kinda glad because this way it gives me time too pay off this One and be ready too fork over about 400 for my N5.Now if you guys can convince dgstorm(sorry dgstorm,hope you enjoyed your vacation:D) too pay off this One for me,Ill talk Google into releasing your beloved N7.
LOL! If you could actually talk Google into releasing it early, I would find a way to pay off your One. Of course, it would have to be a long term installment plan. I'm thinking a penny per year... How does that sound? ;)

Redsnk95

Reaction score
I downloaded Hangouts on my wife's iPhone 4s and the video chat service worked great between her iPhone and my Razr Maxx. We had been trying to use other apps (Skype and Tango) but they never worked that great. Hangouts is very useful for us, will no longer use SMS.