Google Hangouts 4.0 is launching today

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
I've been using the new Hangouts now since it got updated and I'm just now noticing a couple little things.

First, I kinda don't like when you tap to compose a new message how it gives you all the options (New SMS, New Conversation, etc). I get it, I understand why...but I just don't like it since all I personally use Hangouts for is the text app.

Second, in regards to texting...I was trying to compose a group text to some friends the other day. I was going to include my girlfriend on the group text but it only let me select one of her numbers that has no texting associated with it (her office number). I couldn't figure out how to make it switch over to her mobile number, even though I have a running text history with her mobile number already within Hangouts. That just doesn't make sense. I ended up copying and pasting the text that I sent to everyone else into a message just to her.

And lastly...unless I'm missing something, there doesn't seem to be a way to add text to a picture message that gets sent. Used to be able to do that but now that does not seem to be the case.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I've been using the new Hangouts now since it got updated and I'm just now noticing a couple little things.

First, I kinda don't like when you tap to compose a new message how it gives you all the options (New SMS, New Conversation, etc). I get it, I understand why...but I just don't like it since all I personally use Hangouts for is the text app.

Second, in regards to texting...I was trying to compose a group text to some friends the other day. I was going to include my girlfriend on the group text but it only let me select one of her numbers that has no texting associated with it (her office number). I couldn't figure out how to make it switch over to her mobile number, even though I have a running text history with her mobile number already within Hangouts. That just doesn't make sense. I ended up copying and pasting the text that I sent to everyone else into a message just to her.

And lastly...unless I'm missing something, there doesn't seem to be a way to add text to a picture message that gets sent. Used to be able to do that but now that does not seem to be the case.
1st- I agree gets annoying
2nd- When I select the person it gives me all their numbers. I go in and select which # I want.
3rd- Select the picture, the send arrow will have a number count, then type the message in the box where you normally would.

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
1st- I agree gets annoying
2nd- When I select the person it gives me all their numbers. I go in and select which # I want.
3rd- Select the picture, the send arrow will have a number count, then type the message in the box where you normally would.

Ah ha! Thank you. I had to do a little finding to make these work the way I was needing them to. For the group text with my girlfriend, yes, I just had to tap her name and all of her numbers appeared and I could select the appropriate one.

As for adding text to images in a text message, I now see I should try sharing right from Hangouts rather than going to the gallery first and sharing the picture from there.

Last edited:

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Due to the MMS issues, I dropped Hangouts until google gets off their butts.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Due to the MMS issues, I dropped Hangouts until google gets off their butts.
Same here. Started getting the ads in textra. They're not very intrusive so far. Just looks like a text at the top of the list. If Google takes too long with hangouts, I may go ahead & pay to remove the ads though.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Same here. I've been getting those "Text" ads, just delete and on my way. I'm with you. I really like hangouts but this is getting ridiculous. I'll go back to stock.

OP
wicked

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Same here. I've been getting those "Text" ads, just delete and on my way. I'm with you. I really like hangouts but this is getting ridiculous. I'll go back to stock.
Have you tried Google Messenger? I love it. :D

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Have you tried Google Messenger? I love it. :D
Is Messenger having issues with downloading MMS as well? I read somewhere (maybe this thread?) that they were both having issues with MMS.

I tried Messenger when it first came out and didn't particularly care for it, but maybe I should visit it again.

I still would rather have Hangouts messages and SMS/MMS all in one app like I've grown accustomed to, but I guess I always used to have Talk and then my texting app installed before Hangouts and then Hangouts and my texting app installed until Hangouts added texting support...

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Yes, Google Messenger and Google Hangouts are having MMS issues.

OP
wicked

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Hmm, no MMS issues here.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Lucky. I get message sending. And then nothing. Or I'll get this.

Attachments

• 2015-08-12 16.23.29.jpg
    2015-08-12 16.23.29.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 126