Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
ChrUnfq.png

Google announced the launch of Hangouts for Android devices' latest version taking the app to version 4.0 and bringing with it a simpler, faster interface with some new features. This update has been in the pipeline for quite some time, and it comes with a comprehensive redesign that brings the Hangouts app in line with Google's Material Design visual guidelines.

Google says items on the screen now respond in a more intuitive way and transitions are more fluid than they have been in the past. As part of the design update, Google added a new Compose button that can be used to launch a new conversation or start a new group message. The contacts list has been streamlined to help you find contacts more quickly. Google says the app now supports the sharing of multiple photos at once along with emoji, GIFs, and your location.

Hangouts 4.0 is currently rolling out in stages, and users can expect to receive the update in the near future if they haven't already.

Source: Google Blog

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm most looking forward to the new Android Wear functionality. You're supposed to bring up your conversation list directly on the watch. No more trying to remember what was said in a conversation or having to pull the phone out to double check what others had said in complicated group messages before using your voice to send a quick reply through your watch.

The other stuff is great, but that's definitely the feature I'm looking forward to the most. The fact that we currently can't pull a conversation back up on the watch is a big hindrance IMO to using the watch for simple tasks like this instead of using the phone.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm most looking forward to the new Android Wear functionality. You're supposed to bring up your conversation list directly on the watch. No more trying to remember what was said in a conversation or having to pull the phone out to double check what others had said in complicated group messages before using your voice to send a quick reply through your watch.

The other stuff is great, but that's definitely the feature I'm looking forward to the most. The fact that we currently can't pull a conversation back up on the watch is a big hindrance IMO to using the watch for simple tasks like this instead of using the phone.
Word!

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
installed on both my nexus 5 and nexus 6 (manually installed the apk posted on AP). So far I like the different look. Ill have to play with it a few days to give it my grade.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I jumped back to the older version. Still felt a little beta to me (Nexus 6)

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
I'm going to wait until it releases to me via the Play Store. Last time I sideloaded the Hangouts APK, it did some funky stuff on me. I'm also seeing some people with an N6 showing connection issues when sideloading.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Got it via play store. I like it but I hardly use it anymore. I've moved onto Messenger for SMS. Rarely send hangouts anymore.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Haven't given it a try yet, but I'll chime in with my impressions once I do.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yup. I'm impressed. Seems to be just what I was hoping for/wanting/not sure why they didn't already include it, as far as Android Wear integration goes. I can now pull up Hangouts or text conversations on my watch without having to wait for a new message to come in.

I also sent and received several texts last night after updating. The app definitely seems to have lost that little bit of lag that it had when first opening and/or navigating through it.

Serves my purpose even better than it did before. Again, I'm not worried about colored word bubbles or dark mode for my texting app. Textra is nice for what it is, but once again, I find myself thinking it makes more sense to use Hangouts for texting and the occasional Hangouts message rather than a separate app for texting and Hangouts only for the occasional Hangouts message.

I don't think this is an earth-shattering update by any means, but bringing it more in line with material design guidelines looks nice and so far, it's functioning very well for my personal needs/preferences.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I side loaded this last night... Seems to be working better, and looks much cleaner.

sent from #8

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yup. I'm impressed. Seems to be just what I was hoping for/wanting/not sure why they didn't already include it, as far as Android Wear integration goes. I can now pull up Hangouts or text conversations on my watch without having to wait for a new message to come in.

I also sent and received several texts last night after updating. The app definitely seems to have lost that little bit of lag that it had when first opening and/or navigating through it.

Serves my purpose even better than it did before. Again, I'm not worried about colored word bubbles or dark mode for my texting app. Textra is nice for what it is, but once again, I find myself thinking it makes more sense to use Hangouts for texting and the occasional Hangouts message rather than a separate app for texting and Hangouts only for the occasional Hangouts message.

I don't think this is an earth-shattering update by any means, but bringing it more in line with material design guidelines looks nice and so far, it's functioning very well for my personal needs/preferences.
Entire conversations on the watch is game changing in the wearable market.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Conechaser

Reaction score
Entire conversations on the watch is game changing in the wearable market.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Yeah, thats one of the few features my wife's Apple Watch has that I didn't. She can still pull up all of her emails and a calendar as well...some day we'll get those as well i'm sure. :)

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, thats one of the few features my wife's Apple Watch has that I didn't. She can still pull up all of her emails and a calendar as well...some day we'll get those as well i'm sure. :)
Same thing on my Gear Fit. Strange that my lesser watch has some abilities by bigger watch doesn't.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4