Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
google-voice.png

Great news Google Voice users! According to Google software Engineer Dylan Salisbury's Google+ post, you can now send mms messages through Google Voice with all major carriers in the US and Canada!

Good news, GV users! You can now stay in touch via MMS with Verizon Wireless users. Google Voice now supports MMS messaging with of all major carriers in the US and Canada.

Along with this announcement, we are also adding native MMS support for photo messaging to Google Voice. If you opt in to Google Voice in Hangouts, you can now attach photos to any SMS message and it will be delivered as a native MMS (instead of SMS with a link). Support for group messaging via MMS will be enabled in a future update

Source: Google+

anewton

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yay! Been waiting for this, wondering how much I've been missing from people who were sending group or other MMS messages and not hearing back from me! :)

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Going to test it now

Hell yeah! Now I can text to and from house phone!

dja1980

Reaction score
I think I'm missing it... how is this helpful other than being able to use a separate app to send/receive MMS? Does this allow me to drop my Verizon txt plan if I use GV with my Verizon # for MMS, or would I still need to use a dedicated GV #?

My wife was just telling me that she wants to sign up for unlimited txts with Verizon because she keeps going over on her 500 plan, and she doesn't want to have to tell her friends to switch to Hangouts. I'm just wondering if this news will help with that situation.

Reaction score
I think I'm missing it... how is this helpful other than being able to use a separate app to send/receive MMS? Does this allow me to drop my Verizon txt plan if I use GV with my Verizon # for MMS, or would I still need to use a dedicated GV #?

My wife was just telling me that she wants to sign up for unlimited txts with Verizon because she keeps going over on her 500 plan, and she doesn't want to have to tell her friends to switch to Hangouts. I'm just wondering if this news will help with that situation.
Google Voice uses Data instead of text messages to send/receive, unless you tell it to receive messages on your carrier number. Someone please correct me if I have this wrong.

m698322h

Reaction score
How do you send MMS through Google Voice? I have Verizon and tried to send an MMS message and did not have an option. The Google Voice app looks the same and it's the same version that is on Google Play. I do not use Hangouts and do not even have it enabled for the time being. Any insight would be good.

djarmin

Reaction score
So i have been using google voice for my texting and canceled my text plan with verizon for about 1.5 years now. There are good and bad things with this. Good is it uses data, no limits, and now i can send pictures.

The bad is that group text messages are still hit or miss. I will sometime receive them as individual texts from all individuals, so responding to them is difficult. Also i setup a google voice phone number that i have been using and giving to my friends so they text this number and it comes to my phone. You can port your verizon number, but i am not versed in how to do this.

dja1980

Reaction score
Google Voice uses Data instead of text messages to send/receive, unless you tell it to receive messages on your carrier number. Someone please correct me if I have this wrong.
This is what I'd like to verify... we have dedicated GV phone numbers, but we'd rather use our Verizon phone numbers for MMS without having to use a Verizon text plan. Do you have to used the dedicated Google Voice app for this?

Human_Droid

Reaction score
So I am using Google Messenger. How can I use a secondary number with it? I also am looking to get rid of text messaging fees from Verizon

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It's a shame it's taken them four years to make it functional. I quit using GV when Verizon stopped charging for an SMS package.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 2

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It's a shame it's taken them four years to make it functional. I quit using GV when Verizon stopped charging for an SMS package.

I've had unlimited texting for my entire time with Verizon. All Google Voice has ever been to me is free speech-to-text voicemail transcription.

Yes, you have to use Google voice app to sms.
You can also use the Hangouts app to text with your GV number.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've had unlimited texting for my entire time with Verizon. All Google Voice has ever been to me is free speech-to-text voicemail transcription.
I do use their voicemail for the same purpose.