Google Might be Working on a Movie Streaming Service to Compete with Netflix

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-streaming-movie-service-google-plus-survey-post.png

So, this morning's big rumor is a bit of a stretch, but their is some logic to it, so it's worth considering. Google+ user Hugo Seijas recently took a Google Opinion Rewards survey. He posted a question he found on the survey that was very odd. It asked, " “Do you have a Google monthly movie pass?”

Since that service basically doesn't exist, his answer was obviously no, but the fact that the question is there suggests Google could be working on it in the background. Otherwise, why would it be on the survey to begin with. Perhaps the survey is also meant to be taken by Google employees, and there is a team/division within Google working on this, which would make the question relevant for testers.

That last part is just speculation, but either way you look at it, this seems to suggest that Google might be working on a streaming movie service to compete with Netflix and Amazon Prime. What do you guys think? Could Google create a solid competitor to Netflix?

Source: Google+

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am in. I have never liked the way Netflix just would change schemes on their loyal customers at the drop of a hat. And their current $7.99 for no HD 1 device, $8.99 for HD 2 devices etc.... leaves a bad taste in my mouth too. IDK they just seem like a crappy company to deal with in general.

I would welcome a streaming service from Google. That would rock.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Im in, but eventually with these streaming services the cream needs to rise. Right now as a cord cutter we have a list to choose from and combined can become more expensive than cable.

1. Netflix $7.99
  2. Hulu Plus $7.99
  3. SlingTv $25
  4. HBO Now $14.99
  5. ShowTime $10.99
We are at $67 and when you factor in the price of high speed internet ($40.00) we are back where we started with $100 cable bills.

Rognish

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
rognish
I think if they combine it with google play music it would be a home run. Kind of like amazon prime.

Powarun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
I believe most internet that is usable for goes around closer to $45.
While looking at a channel line up for an undisclosed cable provider, what would be deemed cable is around $75, with HBO at $20, and Showtimes at $16. So its still a better bargain to cut the cord till the local bandwidth is swallowed up and the quality of the video is turned down and/or buffering.

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
Honestly I don't believe this is the case. I think google is just testing people who use the rewards app to make sure they are being honest in answering questions. There was a question they asked a few weeks ago that asked something about visiting a certain amusement park type place, and I accidentally answered yes even though I'd never heard of the place. The next page was a response from google saying this place didn't exist and they were seeing if I would answer honestly or not.

If anyone has the app and gets asked this question, try answering yes and see what happens.

Of course if they ARE planning a netflix type streaming service (which I wouldn't be at all surprised) that would be awesome and I'd definitely be interested.

Reactions: cr6

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
We are at $67 and when you factor in the price of high speed internet ($40.00) we are back where we started with $100 cable bills.

Right. That's why I laugh at the cord cutters, but most of them are getting by using pirate sites and friends passwords to subscription services.

It's also funny how much more people cry about their $100 cable bill vs. hundreds for cell phones for the family despite cable delivering more and superior content.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Of course if they ARE planning a netflix type streaming service (which I wouldn't be at all surprised) that would be awesome and I'd definitely be interested.

I'd bet money on it. People made a big deal about "fast lanes" limiting competition for Netflix when the real barrier is $$$ to purchase content. Google and Amazon (and Apple) have the cash to build a competitive service.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
The only way I can see this really taking off is if they can get the contracts with the movie companies to get new releases as they come to DVD/On-Demand/Etc.

That's what's been hurting Netflix for quite some time. I'm a fan and user of Netflix, but I'd pay a few bucks more a month to get the same content I get from netflix + newer releases. That said, I doubt we'd see them strike a deal with House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Daredevil, or some of their other great original content, but a guy can dream...

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The only way I can see this really taking off is if they can get the contracts with the movie companies to get new releases as they come to DVD/On-Demand/Etc.

It's prohibitively expensive when On-Demand services and places like Vudu charge upwards of $7.99 for a new release. Even then, DVD sales still make up a decent chunk of change for the studios so there really isn't a consumer friendly deal to be had for Netflix.

I don't know if Netflix still has the mail delivery system, but as far as streaming options you're never going to see a bunch of new releases unless you're paying over $30 a month.

Now if Netflix added an On-Demand section where you could stream new releases for $6 per movie, then you might have something. It's kind of amazing how we went from bricks-and-mortar stores renting DVD's for $2 but now streaming from tv is $6. I really should hit-up Redbox more.

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score

But most of us already pay for internet service on top of cable/satellite so I'm not sure that the price for internet should be added into the comparison.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note4 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It's prohibitively expensive when On-Demand services and places like Vudu charge upwards of $7.99 for a new release. Even then, DVD sales still make up a decent chunk of change for the studios so there really isn't a consumer friendly deal to be had for Netflix.

I don't know if Netflix still has the mail delivery system, but as far as streaming options you're never going to see a bunch of new releases unless you're paying over $30 a month.

Now if Netflix added an On-Demand section where you could stream new releases for $6 per movie, then you might have something. It's kind of amazing how we went from bricks-and-mortar stores renting DVD's for $2 but now streaming from tv is $6. I really should hit-up Redbox more.
Sign up for the redbox deals if you haven't already. Free rentals & rent one get one frees pretty often.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
But most of us already pay for internet service on top of cable/satellite so I'm not sure that the price for internet should be added into the comparison.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note4 using Tapatalk

I beg to differ because many of your companies (if not all) are bundling.

Comcast Triple play $99.99 per month (not including fees for equipment rental and taxes) for 140 channels and 50 Mbps internet speed, 139.99 for 230 channels and 105 Mbps, where as high speed 50 Mbps internet by itself will cost you $78.95 per month.

Charter is offering close to the same pricing.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Right. That's why I laugh at the cord cutters, but most of them are getting by using pirate sites and friends passwords to subscription services.

A couple things regarding this post. I make $90,000 a year. My wife makes $110,000 per year.
Combined household income of $200K. This does not even include my rental properties.
My cable bill + internet just got reduced when I called to cancel by a few dollars. $133.
This is NOTHING to me.
I STILL want to cut the cord and I DON'T EVEN CARE if it costs me MORE to do so! My #1 motivation here is to send a message to the Cable company: I want ala carte pricing.
I want it NOW.
Dish, DirectTV: I don't want 2 year contracts for Television.

More people need to do this. Even if it costs a few dollars more. Even if it's not as convenient.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Honestly I don't believe this is the case. I think google is just testing people who use the rewards app to make sure they are being honest in answering questions. There was a question they asked a few weeks ago that asked something about visiting a certain amusement park type place, and I accidentally answered yes even though I'd never heard of the place. The next page was a response from google saying this place didn't exist and they were seeing if I would answer honestly or not.

If anyone has the app and gets asked this question, try answering yes and see what happens.

I feel like you answered it right there. If he would have said yes, he would have seen a similar response. They are qualifying questions to make sure you are reading and paying attention, and being truthful. I get those all the time on the E-Rewards site I use.