Google is Offloading Several Google+ Features to Other Products and Services

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jul 27, 2015.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

It looks like Google realized they packed too many features into Google+ and several of them were better served elsewhere. They have decided to offload a number of Google+ functions to different Google products and services. Here's a quote with the details,

If you are an avid (or even occasional) Google+ users, please sound off and share what you guys think of these changes.

2. IIGood

IIGood Silver Member

Ratings:
    +281
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S6
    It should've been this way all along, really. It's almost like Google PUSHED account holders into using their attempt at social media.

I like how they've recently separated Photos from G+ and I like the sound of YouTube accounts no longer requiring association to it.

While I do check G+ from time to time, I haven't posted anything there in a while and I don't find it all that useful. But then again I'm not one for social media either...I killed my Facebook account years ago and haven't looked back.

3. NoStopN

NoStopN Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7
    Twitter:
    @NoStopN
    G+ just hasn't appealed to me. I also check mine once every week or 2. It just doesn't flow well. I'll be glad to dump G+ in a little while. They say not to nuke the G+ right now.

4. Xander Crews

Xander Crews Active Member

Ratings:
    +27
    I love Google+. I wish more folks used it. The interface is so much cleaner and better than Facebook. And for posting photos? Forget about it...it's great. Photographers Love G+. It really is an outstanding service that is being underused simply because most people's friends don't really use it. It's a shame. People don't know what they are missing.

5. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,406
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    While I agree with Xander's points, I have to disagree because of one of those points. The fact that most people's friends don't use it, by definition, makes it not a good social network. The whole point of a social network is to socialize.

I'm on + and I have a decent friends list, but most of those people are people I've met through forums like this or people that I followed over from Google buzz. (remember that?)

Anyway, I'd like for + to have taken off, but I feel like it's dead in the water.

I may not be a good judge though, because I use + much the same as I use twitter. I follow tech news sites and maybe some celebrities with a sprinkling of people I actually kinda know.

I'm glad to see Google's not going to push + down people's throats like they have been though.

6. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,348
    I agree. I was a first generation user but it's only good for news stories for me now.
    I think G+ didn't take off at first because it is too individualized for most. They want to blast some whinefest about this or that and have it go viral by itself. With G+ it'd take work. Most don't even bother with the ability to individuaize their Facebook posts and many don't even know that can.

Support Our Troops !!!
    <><
    Beast Mode 4

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,406
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Funny, I'm reading this "article" right now. Just started, but I'm guessing it's more of an opinion piece...
    Why Google has to shrink to grow The Verge