Google is Offloading Several Google+ Features to Other Products and Services

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google1-big-logo.jpg

It looks like Google realized they packed too many features into Google+ and several of them were better served elsewhere. They have decided to offload a number of Google+ functions to different Google products and services. Here's a quote with the details,

Google has decided to “move some features that aren’t essential to an interest-based social experience out of Google+,” according to a post on its official blog today.

That includes Google+ Photos elements being phased into the Photos app, and location sharing will be moved to Hangouts. What’s more, over at the YouTube blog, it was revealed that YouTube comments and Google+ comments will no longer be linked. Plus, other YouTube activities, like creating a channel, will no longer require a Google+ profile. ~ Gizmodo

If you are an avid (or even occasional) Google+ users, please sound off and share what you guys think of these changes.

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
It should've been this way all along, really. It's almost like Google PUSHED account holders into using their attempt at social media.

I like how they've recently separated Photos from G+ and I like the sound of YouTube accounts no longer requiring association to it.

While I do check G+ from time to time, I haven't posted anything there in a while and I don't find it all that useful. But then again I'm not one for social media either...I killed my Facebook account years ago and haven't looked back.

NoStopN

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7
Twitter
@NoStopN
G+ just hasn't appealed to me. I also check mine once every week or 2. It just doesn't flow well. I'll be glad to dump G+ in a little while. They say not to nuke the G+ right now.

Xander Crews

Reaction score
I love Google+. I wish more folks used it. The interface is so much cleaner and better than Facebook. And for posting photos? Forget about it...it's great. Photographers Love G+. It really is an outstanding service that is being underused simply because most people's friends don't really use it. It's a shame. People don't know what they are missing.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
While I agree with Xander's points, I have to disagree because of one of those points. The fact that most people's friends don't use it, by definition, makes it not a good social network. The whole point of a social network is to socialize.

I'm on + and I have a decent friends list, but most of those people are people I've met through forums like this or people that I followed over from Google buzz. (remember that?)

Anyway, I'd like for + to have taken off, but I feel like it's dead in the water.

I may not be a good judge though, because I use + much the same as I use twitter. I follow tech news sites and maybe some celebrities with a sprinkling of people I actually kinda know.

I'm glad to see Google's not going to push + down people's throats like they have been though.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
While I agree with Xander's points, I have to disagree because of one of those points. The fact that most people's friends don't use it, by definition, makes it not a good social network. The whole point of a social network is to socialize.

I'm on + and I have a decent friends list, but most of those people are people I've met through forums like this or people that I followed over from Google buzz. (remember that?)

Anyway, I'd like for + to have taken off, but I feel like it's dead in the water.

I may not be a good judge though, because I use + much the same as I use twitter. I follow tech news sites and maybe some celebrities with a sprinkling of people I actually kinda know.

I'm glad to see Google's not going to push + down people's throats like they have been though.
I agree. I was a first generation user but it's only good for news stories for me now.
I think G+ didn't take off at first because it is too individualized for most. They want to blast some whinefest about this or that and have it go viral by itself. With G+ it'd take work. Most don't even bother with the ability to individuaize their Facebook posts and many don't even know that can.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4