Gmail through K-9

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok so i set up to get gmail through k-9 and i love it because of the customization, but just have one problem. the mail doesn't seem to sync from from to pc. for example with the gmail app, if i check my mail on my pc, my notification would disappear on my phone and the mail would appear as read on my gmail app.

on k-9 this doesnt happen. even if i read the mail on my pc, the notification remains and the mail is still marked as new. any ideas? or do i just wait longer for the sync to happen

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ok so i set up to get gmail through k-9 and i love it because of the customization, but just have one problem. the mail doesn't seem to sync from from to pc. for example with the gmail app, if i check my mail on my pc, my notification would disappear on my phone and the mail would appear as read on my gmail app.

on k-9 this doesnt happen. even if i read the mail on my pc, the notification remains and the mail is still marked as new. any ideas? or do i just wait longer for the sync to happen

K-9 doesn't sync with your pc. It simply down loads emails from your ISP periodically.

OP
czerdrill

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
oh ok i thought thats what IMAP and push was, syncing with the server. But thanks!

OP
czerdrill

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
on second thought that can't be right haha...i have other email addresses in k-9 set up through imap and they all sync with the server. when i check on my phone they sync on the server and are marked as read, and vice versa. so its definitely syncing with the mail server.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
on second thought that can't be right haha...i have other email addresses in k-9 set up through imap and they all sync with the server. when i check on my phone they sync on the server and are marked as read, and vice versa. so its definitely syncing with the mail server.

Sorry, thought you were talking about pop3.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
You may want to try adding polling to the mix. IMAP does a pretty good job of syncing stuff up but sometimes things get out of sync.

There's a checkbox in incoming server settings to poll during push...something like that. Make sure to check that box.

You may want to check your folders--particularly inbox--by longpressing on them. Make sure that the folder push class is 1st class.

In addition, check "delete from server when I delete" if you want that to happen.

Finally, if it's still not working you can set up polling on a periodic basis--say once every 15 minutes--under account settings > Folder poll check frequency. You can use push and polling at the same time.

OP
czerdrill

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
hmmm tried your suggestions aminaked but same deal. reading the email on the pc doesn't sync with the k-9 mail and the notification remains and the email still shows as unread in the k-9 app. do you have yours working?

DavePDX

Reaction score
Pardon my jumping in but periodically I notice that read mail on my PC email client (Thunderbird - Shredder actually, one of the nightly development builds) does not show up as read on K-9. I can read an email on my PC and it will be marked read on Thunderbird but if I look at it with K-9 it is not marked read. If I have Thunderbird to check for new email by clicking on the "Get Mail" button, then that email will turn to the read state in K-9 pretty quickly (in a few seconds). I'm wondering if the read/unread discrepancy is due to lack of polling on the PC client side (not updating the read/unread state)?

Edited to add: Thunderbird is set up as IMAP as well as in K-9.

Last edited:

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
hmmm tried your suggestions aminaked but same deal. reading the email on the pc doesn't sync with the k-9 mail and the notification remains and the email still shows as unread in the k-9 app. do you have yours working?

Actually, I was kinda talking out of my a** because I don't use K9 for gmail anymore. I've set it up on my girlfriend's phone so I'll look into this tonight.

OK, well there is a bug about this on the K9 google code site: http://code.google.com/p/k9mail/issues/detail?id=1452

You may want to get involved over there to get this issue resolved. The devs are very responsive and will probably fix the problem quickly if you point them in the right direction.

I will see if I can figure out anything about this tonight. For now:
- try Maildroid
- try deleting your account from K9 and adding it again
- try uninstalling K9 and reinstalling

I also see that there is a newer version of K9 available: http://code.google.com/p/k9mail/downloads/list
They only release it to the market once in a while.

Last edited: