Gmail/Messaging apps, different notification settings for separate accts?

rebel7254

Reaction score
I have a Motorola Droid X2.

Now that I have a smart phone, I want to eliminate using text messages between my wife and myself. I thought a perfect way to accomplish this was to just use email with the smartphone. Well, it's not that simple.

Unless I'm missing something, the Notifications setting is an "all or nothing" type of deal. For example, if I want to get Notifications from the Gmail app when new mail arrives, then it has to apply across the board. I can set up multiple Gmail accounts within the app, but as far as I can tell there's no way to get notifications for [email protected] and not [email protected]. Well, I don't want to get notifications for my regular Gmail account. I only want it to notify me if my wife sends me a message. I figured I would be able to set up a separate Gmail account that was completely dedicated to the purpose of getting messages from my wife on my phone, but that does me no good unless I can make the phone only notify me when I get messages on that account.

Same thing goes with the "Messaging" app that came preinstalled on the phone. I can have as many accounts as I want, but there's only one place to specify whether I want Notifications enabled.

I just think this is a silly limitation. What I'd like to know is if I'm missing something in the Settings of these apps that will allow me to accomplish what I want, or if anyone can point me to another email app that can handle this?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nope. If it's possible with the app then it will be in the settings. Have you looked into the usual suspects for suggested email apps such as K9 and MailDroid?

How do you have more than one messaging account? If you're asking about custom notification tones for specific messaging contacts, I'm fairly certain Handcent and other messaging apps can do so.

Last edited:
OP
R

rebel7254

Reaction score
Nope. If it's possible with the app then it will be in the settings. Have you looked into the usual suspects for suggested email apps such as K9 and MailDroid?

How do you have more than one messaging account? If you're asking about custom notification tones for specific messaging contacts, I'm fairly certain Handcent and other messaging apps can do so.

Well I got impatient when this great wasn't getting any replies, so I went to another forum and now the issue is resolved.

Turns I could do it with the Gmail app. I was just assuming the Settings menu was global because there was only one account. After actually adding the second account I discovered I could have independent settings for both accounts.

Thanks for the reply, though.

RazrUsr

Reaction score
Maybe an extra gmail account.

The only way I can think of doing that is setup another gmail account and then forward the message you want to the new account, and then put a filter in the new account to trash everything except from the account that you are forwarding from. At least you'll know it's a notification you want to pay attention to. May not be the most fitting answer.