Disable default messaging notification?

drek

Reaction score
I installed Handcent and like it a lot. However when I get a text message Handcent notifies me of it and then the original messaging app notifies me. Is there anyway to disable the original app from putting a notification in the task bar?

Also, I set Handcent to use a Orange color of message notification but it doesn't show at all......

djh074

Reaction score
go into settings in messaging app and turn off notifications. i used to use handcent, and some colors just dont seem to work.

rbman5

Reaction score
Open the original messaging app. Press the menu button. Click settings. Uncheck "Notifications". As for Handcent not showing the orange color, perhaps disabling the original messaging will fix that. In handcent you can test your notification settings. After clicking the test settings turn the screen off and the led should turn on.

hamitup

Reaction score
only notification i see is under sound settings/notifacations and i definatly doen't want to shut that off because then any other app that uses notifacation sounds like Craigslist, Steelers News..etc...would shut that off. I also went into the menu directly under the stock messaging and there isn't a way to shut that off the notifacation..am i missing something..thanks

OP
drek

drek

Reaction score
Well thanks for the answers. I don't know why I didn't come up with that myself, also, sorry to ask such a repeated question.

hamitup

Reaction score
the question hasnt been answered yet. unless you want all of you notifacation sounds to be silant the answer hasnt been made. anyone have suggestions? Read my last post..thanks

rkeller62

Reaction score
the question hasnt been answered yet. unless you want all of you notifacation sounds to be silant the answer hasnt been made. anyone have suggestions? Read my last post..thanks

The question was answered, you misinterpreted the answer. You need to launch the stock messaging app and go into it's settings and disable notifications there. Then you are only disabling the notifications for the stock message app, all other notifications happen as expected.

hamitup

Reaction score
yes...and when you do go into setting you going into setting of new messages and not into the message itself like i did when i check for setup...thanks fellas.

OP
drek

drek

Reaction score
Open the original messaging app. Press the menu button. Click settings. Uncheck "Notifications". As for Handcent not showing the orange color, perhaps disabling the original messaging will fix that. In handcent you can test your notification settings. After clicking the test settings turn the screen off and the led should turn on.

This worked fine for me. Exactly what I needed. Also, the link URL provides the same data.