Gizmodo raided by CA Police REACT Task Force

M

Matth3w

Yeah, ok. It's a piece of stolen property. It's against the law. Hell depending on how they value the property (whether it is based on how much Gizmodo paid or how much it was actually worth will depend on a judge/jury/DA) it could even be considered a felony. Get a ****ing clue.

Last edited by a moderator:

pyro6128

Reaction score
Apparently no one read the article I posted. The search was illegal. Here is an excerpt

"
Jennifer Granick, civil liberties director for the Electronic Frontier Foundation, said Chen is protected from a warrant by both state and federal laws.
The federal Privacy Protection Act prohibits the government from seizing materials from journalists and others who possess material for the purpose of communicating to the public. The government cannot seize material from the journalist even if it’s investigating whether the person who possesses the material committed a crime.
Instead, investigators need to obtain a subpoena, which would allow the reporter or media outlet to challenge the request and segregate information that is not relevant to the investigation.
“Congress was contemplating a situation where someone might claim that the journalist was committing a crime [in order to seize materials from them],” Granick says.
California state law also provides protections to prevent journalists from being forced to disclose sources or unpublished information related to their work.
“California law is crystal clear that bloggers are journalists, too,” she says."

eliassami5

Reaction score
Yeah, ok. It's a piece of stolen property. It's against the law. Hell depending on how they value the property (whether it is based on how much Gizmodo paid or how much it was actually worth will depend on a judge/jury/DA) it could even be considered a felony. Get a ****ing clue.

me get a clue? or you take a chill pill?

I understand its against the law and yes any stolen property between 5k-100k is a felony of the 4th degree, but it was returned to them and they still feel the need to take such a drastic action.

And yes i read the article that says that the warrant was not legal, but thats not what we are arguing about.

nphil

Reaction score
Right. Gizmodo purchased stolen property, tore the device apart, released the name of the Apple engineer the prototype belonged to and Apple's supposed to be evil?

Heck I'm no Apple fanboy, but that's just ridiculous.

pyro6128

Reaction score
careful matth3w, some of the mods are super moderating and don't like anything other than smileys. I'd be careful if I were you haha

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
People relax our national security is at stake here.

Nobody was supposed to see the prototype and this puts us all in danger.

We are all sitting behind the safety of our computers ignorant of the fact that a very serious security breach has taken place.

America as a nation has lost today. The prototype of the new iPhone is now public record and has been passed around the internet. Do you people not realize that these photos probably fell into the wrong hands? Grow up everyone....

This was not supposed to be seen by anyone and some clown has compromised national security because he wanted to be a smart arse and post these pics.

We've lost as a nation today ladies and gentlemen. It's a sad day for Americans everywhere. Will we ever recover from these "spy photos"? I don't know but I do know that many good men and women will die because of the recklessness of this Chen guy..

I'm sorry people I can't type anymore I'm getting very emotional.........

Penguissimo

Reaction score
Right. Gizmodo purchased stolen property, tore the device apart, released the name of the Apple engineer the prototype belonged to and Apple's supposed to be evil?

Heck I'm no Apple fanboy, but that's just ridiculous.

Don't forget the article gloating about how the engineer lost the iPhone on his birthday.

I was seriously bracing for an article on his last medical problem, or maybe one about the end of his first relationship.

brochaos

Reaction score
why does everyone say it was stolen? they didn't even know it was a prototype until later...

smokiedabong

Reaction score
What's the big secret ? This phone looks like how any other damn touchscreen smartphone should look like . I thought that the engineers already figured out how a 2010 touch screen smartphone should look like , minimum resolution of 800x480 preferably AMOLED , >5MP flash camera , capacitive touchscreen , fast processor , long lasting battery etc. What's the big innovation that they are loosing by making this public ? Oh , now I see where the innovation is , they eliminated the back curvature , now that's smart . Wait Droid doesn't have a curvature either , are they trying to copy the industrial design ?

jozhua

Reaction score
What I want to know is when was the police report filed that it was stolen? I think there is more to this case than what's being publicized.