Gingerbread "enhancements"

jwgraves

Reaction score
OK - I guess it's inevitable that we start a thread on new functionality with Gingerbread. Love some of the things I'm seeing, but here's my first gripe:

I used to be able to start typing a contacts name from the homescreen and the Pro would immediately start listing any contacts that started with those letters. I would then click on the contact I wanted to text. I could then immediately start typing a message and the Pro would just pop up a dialog box with my message being typed into it and the mobile phone automatically selected in the top dropdown box. I then click SEND and I'm done. This no longer works under Gingerbread. When I start typing the message on the contact detail screen, NOTHING HAPPENS. This makes instant messaging someone more cumbersome.

I hope there is some setting I can change to fix this.....

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
OK - I guess it's inevitable that we start a thread on new functionality with Gingerbread. Love some of the things I'm seeing, but here's my first gripe:

I used to be able to start typing a contacts name from the homescreen and the Pro would immediately start listing any contacts that started with those letters. I would then click on the contact I wanted to text. I could then immediately start typing a message and the Pro would just pop up a dialog box with my message being typed into it and the mobile phone automatically selected in the top dropdown box. I then click SEND and I'm done. This no longer works under Gingerbread. When I start typing the message on the contact detail screen, NOTHING HAPPENS. This makes instant messaging someone more cumbersome.

Good idea...thanks for starting the thread. I haven't received my update to GB yet, but looking forward to it.

StingRay

Reaction score

Good idea...thanks for starting the thread. I haven't received my update to GB yet, but looking forward to it.

JP

A rooted Gingerbread leak is available in the Team Black Hat app... worth the 2.99...

bjwheeler

Reaction score

I don't know if the fix for this would be the same on GB as it is on Froyo, but here is how you would fix it on 2.2.1. I would gladly test this but I didn't get the GB update yet.

Tap your Search button (magnifying glass)

Tap the blue "g" icon in the upper left corner (next to the search bar)

Tap the icon that looks like a gear in the bubble that pops up

Uncheck all options except "Contacts"

Tab the back button and then return to your home screen

On Froyo, that will get the results you want. I hope it works for you on GB too.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

google123

Reaction score
I like that now, when you press and hold the power button, there is a "SLEEP" function alongside the Airplane Mode, Silent Mode, and Power Off modes.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
In my opinion, I can't find a single thing that I prefer in froyo versus gingerbread.

vivid22

Reaction score
I like the more contemporary look of Gingebread.
Apart from that, the US users may not notice that, but in GSM/UMTS mode, it doesnt differentiate between 3G and H anymore like it was used to ... which is weird as HSDPA IS in fact faster than 3G..

vivid22

Reaction score

I don't know if the fix for this would be the same on GB as it is on Froyo, but here is how you would fix it on 2.2.1. I would gladly test this but I didn't get the GB update yet.

On Froyo, that will get the results you want. I hope it works for you on GB too.

Yes, that does in fact work. Now when you start typing something in, it automatically comes up with google search and you can set it to that it just searches in your contacts. Pretty neat, as it can also search through your emails and messages!

EDIT: I just noticed that the LED is blinking green when the screen is off without having any notification ... any ideas .. ?

google123

Reaction score
Holy crap, I now have a PORTRAIT ONSCREEN KEYBOARD On my Pro . I'm using the free FlexT9 Text Input keyboard that I got from the Amazon app store a couple of days ago. It works in portrait and landscape. LOL.

Update: All my other keyboards that I have used in the past work as well including SmartKeyboard Pro and TouchPal.

rafeee2

Reaction score
Enhancement

One of the biggest enhancements I saw: Getting a Quadrant score of 1760 :icon_ banana:

vivid22

Reaction score
One of the biggest enhancements I saw: Getting a Quadrant score of 1760 :icon_ banana:
Where does that rank the Pro among other devices??

What I personally like is that Push works AWESOME now... way faster than before on Froyo imo.

mbd4524

Reaction score
I remember reading something about VOIP with gingerbread. Does anybody see that? Can you use google talk as an alternative calling service?

vivid22

Reaction score
Havent found that yet, but they have completely redone the original Weather app widget, its looks awesome!!

OP
J

jwgraves

Reaction score

Yes, this process works fine (it also worked fine on Froyo for me), my issue is once the contact list comes up, I select one and used to be able to immediately start typing and droid would popup a dialog box with my message in it, then all I had to do was click send - this no longer works on gingerbread. The only way I have found to send a text message from a contact detail screen is to click on the little envelope on the 'Call Mobile' line.

heyyclifford

Reaction score

Yes, this process works fine (it also worked fine on Froyo for me), my issue is once the contact list comes up, I select one and used to be able to immediately start typing and droid would popup a dialog box with my message in it, then all I had to do was click send - this no longer works on gingerbread. The only way I have found to send a text message from a contact detail screen is to click on the little envelope on the 'Call Mobile' line.

True. Very true. I loved that feature on the froyo. It seeems to not work for me either... :(

Sent from my DROID PRO