Gingerbread "enhancements"

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Pro' started by jwgraves, Jun 1, 2011.

1. jwgraves

jwgraves New Member

OK - I guess it's inevitable that we start a thread on new functionality with Gingerbread. Love some of the things I'm seeing, but here's my first gripe:

I used to be able to start typing a contacts name from the homescreen and the Pro would immediately start listing any contacts that started with those letters. I would then click on the contact I wanted to text. I could then immediately start typing a message and the Pro would just pop up a dialog box with my message being typed into it and the mobile phone automatically selected in the top dropdown box. I then click SEND and I'm done. This no longer works under Gingerbread. When I start typing the message on the contact detail screen, NOTHING HAPPENS. This makes instant messaging someone more cumbersome.

I hope there is some setting I can change to fix this.....
  2. jpcalhoun

jpcalhoun Well-Known Member

Good idea...thanks for starting the thread. I haven't received my update to GB yet, but looking forward to it.
  3. StingRay

StingRay New Member

JP

A rooted Gingerbread leak is available in the Team Black Hat app... worth the 2.99...
  4. bjwheeler

bjwheeler New Member

I don't know if the fix for this would be the same on GB as it is on Froyo, but here is how you would fix it on 2.2.1. I would gladly test this but I didn't get the GB update yet.

Tap your Search button (magnifying glass)

Tap the blue "g" icon in the upper left corner (next to the search bar)

Tap the icon that looks like a gear in the bubble that pops up

Uncheck all options except "Contacts"

Tab the back button and then return to your home screen

On Froyo, that will get the results you want. I hope it works for you on GB too.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums
  5. google123

google123 New Member

I like that now, when you press and hold the power button, there is a "SLEEP" function alongside the Airplane Mode, Silent Mode, and Power Off modes.
  6. patmw123

patmw123 New Member

In my opinion, I can't find a single thing that I prefer in froyo versus gingerbread.
  7. vivid22

vivid22 New Member

I like the more contemporary look of Gingebread.
    Apart from that, the US users may not notice that, but in GSM/UMTS mode, it doesnt differentiate between 3G and H anymore like it was used to ... which is weird as HSDPA IS in fact faster than 3G..
  8. vivid22

vivid22 New Member

Yes, that does in fact work. Now when you start typing something in, it automatically comes up with google search and you can set it to that it just searches in your contacts. Pretty neat, as it can also search through your emails and messages!

EDIT: I just noticed that the LED is blinking green when the screen is off without having any notification ... any ideas .. ?
  9. google123

google123 New Member

Holy crap, I now have a PORTRAIT ONSCREEN KEYBOARD On my Pro . I'm using the free FlexT9 Text Input keyboard that I got from the Amazon app store a couple of days ago. It works in portrait and landscape. LOL.

Update: All my other keyboards that I have used in the past work as well including SmartKeyboard Pro and TouchPal.
  10. rafeee2

rafeee2 New Member

Enhancement

One of the biggest enhancements I saw: Getting a Quadrant score of 1760 :icon_ banana:
  11. vivid22

vivid22 New Member

Where does that rank the Pro among other devices??

What I personally like is that Push works AWESOME now... way faster than before on Froyo imo.
  12. mbd4524

mbd4524 New Member

I remember reading something about VOIP with gingerbread. Does anybody see that? Can you use google talk as an alternative calling service?
  13. vivid22

vivid22 New Member

Havent found that yet, but they have completely redone the original Weather app widget, its looks awesome!!
  14. jwgraves

jwgraves New Member

Yes, this process works fine (it also worked fine on Froyo for me), my issue is once the contact list comes up, I select one and used to be able to immediately start typing and droid would popup a dialog box with my message in it, then all I had to do was click send - this no longer works on gingerbread. The only way I have found to send a text message from a contact detail screen is to click on the little envelope on the 'Call Mobile' line.
  15. heyyclifford

heyyclifford New Member

True. Very true. I loved that feature on the froyo. It seeems to not work for me either... :(

Sent from my DROID PRO
  16. jsur

jsur New Member

You, my friend, have made my life so much easier! I've been trying to figure out how to do this for months now. Thank you
  17. mmw68666

mmw68666 New Member

hey i can type on my home screen and it goes to my contacts
    i am rocking GB on my pro its great
  18. google123

google123 New Member

I can also get to my contacts just by typing from the home screen but I think what the OP intended was being able to SMS directly from a contacts page like before on Froyo. This no longer works with GB. Typing on a contacts page no longer pops up the SMS window, you now have to click the envelope icon. Makes no difference for me as I use ChompSMS and use the microphone key on my keyboard to start the quick compose.....
  19. jwgraves

jwgraves New Member

losing the ability to automatically SMS from my contact page really stinks, but on a better note - my battery life seems significantly better. One theory I have as to why is because the "haptic" feedback that I have turned off is now completely off, in Froyo the haptic feedback could not be turned off when tapping one of the 4 buttons on the bottom of the screen (menu/home/back/search). Creating this "haptic" feedback (or vibrate) constantly had to be using up a lot of juice from the battery.
  20. google123

google123 New Member

I also turned "off" the haptic feedback when i had Froyo but once I got GB and it actually turned it off, I actually missed the haptic and decided to turn it back on! LOL.

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums
Search tags for this page

android gingerbread enhancements

androids gingerbread enhancement
ginger bread silent night mode
silent in gingerbread