Gingerbread "enhancements"

jsur

Reaction score
OK - I guess it's inevitable that we start a thread on new functionality with Gingerbread. Love some of the things I'm seeing, but here's my first gripe:

I used to be able to start typing a contacts name from the homescreen and the Pro would immediately start listing any contacts that started with those letters. I would then click on the contact I wanted to text. I could then immediately start typing a message and the Pro would just pop up a dialog box with my message being typed into it and the mobile phone automatically selected in the top dropdown box. I then click SEND and I'm done. This no longer works under Gingerbread. When I start typing the message on the contact detail screen, NOTHING HAPPENS. This makes instant messaging someone more cumbersome.

I hope there is some setting I can change to fix this.....

I don't know if the fix for this would be the same on GB as it is on Froyo, but here is how you would fix it on 2.2.1. I would gladly test this but I didn't get the GB update yet.

Tap your Search button (magnifying glass)

Tap the blue "g" icon in the upper left corner (next to the search bar)

Tap the icon that looks like a gear in the bubble that pops up

Uncheck all options except "Contacts"

Tab the back button and then return to your home screen

On Froyo, that will get the results you want. I hope it works for you on GB too.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

You, my friend, have made my life so much easier! I've been trying to figure out how to do this for months now. Thank you

mmw68666

Reaction score
hey i can type on my home screen and it goes to my contacts
i am rocking GB on my pro its great

google123

Reaction score
I can also get to my contacts just by typing from the home screen but I think what the OP intended was being able to SMS directly from a contacts page like before on Froyo. This no longer works with GB. Typing on a contacts page no longer pops up the SMS window, you now have to click the envelope icon. Makes no difference for me as I use ChompSMS and use the microphone key on my keyboard to start the quick compose.....

OP
J

jwgraves

Reaction score
losing the ability to automatically SMS from my contact page really stinks, but on a better note - my battery life seems significantly better. One theory I have as to why is because the "haptic" feedback that I have turned off is now completely off, in Froyo the haptic feedback could not be turned off when tapping one of the 4 buttons on the bottom of the screen (menu/home/back/search). Creating this "haptic" feedback (or vibrate) constantly had to be using up a lot of juice from the battery.

google123

Reaction score
losing the ability to automatically SMS from my contact page really stinks, but on a better note - my battery life seems significantly better. One theory I have as to why is because the "haptic" feedback that I have turned off is now completely off, in Froyo the haptic feedback could not be turned off when tapping one of the 4 buttons on the bottom of the screen (menu/home/back/search). Creating this "haptic" feedback (or vibrate) constantly had to be using up a lot of juice from the battery.

I also turned "off" the haptic feedback when i had Froyo but once I got GB and it actually turned it off, I actually missed the haptic and decided to turn it back on! LOL.

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums

Roque

Reaction score

I also turned "off" the haptic feedback when i had Froyo but once I got GB and it actually turned it off, I actually missed the haptic and decided to turn it back on! LOL.

Me too!

rafeee2

Reaction score

Me too!

lol.. misery loves company :tongue:

rafeee2

Reaction score
Anyone noticed that the ambient light sensor is now more accurate & faster to respond?

Roque

Reaction score
My keyboard no longer lights up when I'm in low light... any ideas?

This also happened to me last night. Then it worked after a minute. I may have locked and unlocked the phone.