Gingerbread bug

luv2golf

Reaction score
Credit Engadget

Android 2.3 security bug shows microSD access vulnerability

By Christopher Trout posted Jan 29th 2011 10:57AM

A researcher at North Carolina State University is warning of an Android 2.3 security vulnerability that gives attackers access to your personal information, further proof that Gingerbread isn't all sugar and spice (to be fair, that SMS issue has since been remedied). According to Xuxian Jiang, the bug allows malicious websites to access and upload the contents of a user's microSD card, including voicemails, photos, and online banking information to a remote server. The flaw apparently resembles a similar bug in previous version of Android, thought to have been addressed with Gingerbread. However, as Jiang points out, that fix is easily bypassed. Apart from removing the microSD card, disabling JavaScript, or switching to a third-party browser, Android 2.3 users have little recourse in squashing the bug. The folks at eWeek reported that Google is working on a solution to the problem, but there's no word on when we can expect to see an update.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have my computer locked-up pretty tight (or so I think). I will NEVER (well, not for a very very long time) do banking off my Droid. For the once or twice a month I need to do that I'll use my laptop.