Getting Started

Reaction score
I know a few different coding languages, but I'm not sure which one the Android Platform uses. Is it XML? or is it something else? Also, I am assuming, as most open source devices and games and what not, have one, that there's an SDK for android Devs. Where can I find the proper one. Found a couple versions but wasn't sure which one I needed. So if someone good give me a link to it and any other files I need to get started designing an App, it would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help that's given.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
BackSeatSuicide
Reaction score
So I already know Visual Basic, C++ and learned some Direct X coding, when i was working on a conversion mod for BF 1942 and another one for CS 1.6. I've made quite a few mods for PC games, mostly maps and what not (I also am pretty decent with 3D modelling and Animation). I dont know a whole lot of Java, but since I know other languages and that basics that apply to all coding languages, i will be able to pick it up pretty quickly. But I'm completely unfamiliar with Android coding, so can someone hook it up with a link to the most recent SDK released, and any other files Google has released for Devs. And is their any starter guides available that someone can link me to, for starting to Dev for the Android Platform ? any help would be much appreciated. I wanna make a music news app, cause their isn't anything decent for iOS or Android, and their definitely isn't any Music News app, like the one I wanna Develop. After that I wanna try my hand at a Froyo based Custom ROM and if that goes well, then try making one for Gingerbread. So if anyone could hook me up with the links i asked for, I would be eternally grateful

Last edited:

djakrse

Reaction score
Look at the latest forum posts. It's spam without any attempt to sell anything. Is there a name for that?

Maybe some b.s. to deface this site.

Drummynator

Reaction score
Java, xml, c++, and open gl are all used. The main ones are java your the actual code and xml for the design and look of the app. I think there was another one but I can't remember right now lolz.

Sent from my Focused and Crystallized DROID X

debdroid1a

Reaction score
From the first post I thought the OP wanted something easy like App Inventor from Google, specifically for Android phones or AppsBar .

But aparently the OP is more knowledgeable from later posts. Which is good, that may mean a more quality app.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I've learned a little HTML but I've done only very basic C++ etc. I'll check out the bucky guy he mentions too.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Spamburger hamburger!

Sent from my TB using Blue Xparent DF ;)

robobrain

Reaction score
Go to android.com to get the latest SDK. It will point you the right direction for APIs, Development Environment and IDE, tutorials, etc. If you are used to Windows development I will warn you... Android development is a lot different. It doesn't do as much of the grunt work as Microsoft's tools do for you. It's more under the hood. That said, try the tutorials of section android.com, if you like that pick up Beginning Android 2 (or 3) by Apress.

Best of Luck