Looking to start developing

edjm711

Reaction score
Hello all! I'm looking to start making my own live wallpapers and icons. I have years of experience in content creation using CGI creation software and Photoshop, but no experience coding. My question is how much coding experience do I need? Does software exist that takes AVI files, Quicktime, etc, and allows them to be used as live wallpapers? I am willing to learn to code for the platform, but to get started I'd like to get my practice in and post my practice up for free for all to enjoy. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!!!

timlab1955

Reaction score
Learning How TO Develop

I'm a noivce programmer in VB and would like to learn how to develop apps for my samsung vibrant and others. But I have no clue where to start or what I need to download to my computer to develop. Can someone help me start off? Thanks.

Smultron

Reaction score
I just got acces to Beta of the new ''App inventor'' its easy to learn and very nice to handle i recomend it strong!

CoolBreeze

Reaction score
You will need an IDE, most people use Eclipse and you'll also need the Android SDK, as well as Java SE SDK. You can ease the setup a little by using Motorola's MotoDev Studio, which is based off of Eclipse and pretty much includes everything you need to get started. You'll then want to hit the Android SDK documentation and I'd suggest getting a book to use in conjunction like Beginning Android 2.

Reaction score
I too would like to start developing, or at least I would like to attempt/play-around-with developing apps. My questions...

1.) Is there a basic set of tools needed?
2.) Would it cost me anything to get started?
3.) I have basically no programing or software developmental skills, but I learn very fast and have no problems reading through large bits of text to learn what I need to know. Is this enough or should I not even bother?

:( ...I think I can.

Reaction score
You will need an IDE, most people use Eclipse and you'll also need the Android SDK, as well as Java SE SDK. You can ease the setup a little by using Motorola's MotoDev Studio, which is based off of Eclipse and pretty much includes everything you need to get started. You'll then want to hit the Android SDK documentation and I'd suggest getting a book to use in conjunction like Beginning Android 2.

Good info... :p

Last edited:

timlab1955

Reaction score
Last night I made my first app and it shocked me. I used the Is App Inventor and it's great! Had a little trouble at first to find the usb for my type of phone, but after that it was awsome. Tonight I'm going to try and make my next app. Hope this works out for me and if it does, I'm on my way. Good luck to anyone who is wondering how to do the same thing.

krnzmaster

Reaction score
but isnt app inventor only for personal app making only? and i would think it is only good for showing what happens, since you dont get to see the actual code. i dont know yet b/c i havent received it so correct me if im wrong.

krnzmaster

Reaction score
hi, i just started to try and develop and ive been reading/learning about java and it seems to be a very good starting point. i dont think you need to be an expert at it, you just need to know most to all of the basics i guess. i dont know about the avi files but hope this helped some.

icaneatlikeacow

Reaction score
Learning to develop an app using the android sdk isn't bad but it does take alot of time to get started.

Even more so if you have no java experience.

I'm a undergraduate senior at Cal Poly State University and just this past summer took a 8 week course on making an app for android os.

The resources we used for our class can be found here:
Android App Course
Credit must be given to Dr. David Janzen for making the course and materials that were part of it.

If you follow the course layout, you should have a good understanding at developing a solid app for the android.

But first you need to learn java.

Here's what I would do if you have no coding experience.

1) Download Java JDK
Java SE Downloads - Sun Developer Network (SDN)
You will probably all ready have Java JRE (which allows you to run java compiled apps on your computer, but the JDK allows you to compile java source code you write into .class files you can run on the cmd terminal)
... not required for making an android app, but for sure you'll need to compile java code you write as learn the java language

2) Download Eclipse IDE
Eclipse IDE for Java Developers | Eclipse Packages
An IDE stands for Integrated Development Environment. Think of Eclipse to programming as what Microsoft word is for writing. This will help you learn how to program and it is also what the Android SDK uses for development.

3) LEARN JAVA!!!!
Java Programming - Wikibooks, collection of open-content textbooks
Follow through the above wiki books. It should get you on the right track. It goes through some of the steps I just mentioned above. The fun starts here.

4) Do the Android Course
http://sites.google.com/site/androidcoursearchive/lectures
http://sites.google.com/site/androidcoursearchive/labs
Go through a lecture slide starting with the first one, then do the first lab. Then the second lecture slide with the 2nd lab and so on. The first lab/lecture go over installing the Android SDK and getting started with developing for the Android OS.

There are textbooks to help you out and the Android SDK links others mentioned are resources you will most likely use. But if your a good learner and able to search google well enough, you should be able to start developing with no cost. (I'm assuming you all ready have an android phone and a computer).

Good luck! dancedroid

timlab1955

Reaction score
Okay, I'm stuck here. I was following all the instructions and then when I had to go to my path and type that in, is where I"m lost. Can you possible help me out? What information do you need so that I can set the correct path in order to make this work for me.

Thanks

icaneatlikeacow

Reaction score
Okay, I'm stuck here. I was following all the instructions and then when I had to go to my path and type that in, is where I"m lost. Can you possible help me out? What information do you need so that I can set the correct path in order to make this work for me.

Thanks

So make sure your in your computer environmental variables.

Right click computer->properties->Advanced System Settings->Advanced->Environmental Vairabled (For windows 7 platform)

Now you will see User variables for your username and also System Variables.
Go to the system variables and find a variable named Path (or PATH). Select edit. add ";<android_sdk>/tools" without the quotation.

So if your android_sdk is located in "C:/users/username/my documents/androidSDK" that is what <android_sdk> represents.

Therefore, you would add ";C:/users/username/my documents/androidSDK" to the path. Remember if you ever move the location of the android sdk you would now have to edit the Path variable again.

The purpose behind this is so that when you use the command line, the terminal will know where to look.

OP
E

edjm711

Reaction score
This is why I love the Android Community

You guys are so helpful! This is the greatest community! :)