Help with developing applications

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've been around these forums awhile now and I really want to get into development. Can someone please give me a list of all the software ill need? Also, what languages I'd need to learn? I'm absolutely starting from scratch, but I'm not an idiot. So far I've dl
SDK, tools and the 4.0.3 platform
Java 6 update 29 with netbeans 7
Eclipse
Android emulator

Am I missing anything? Will java be the only language I need to learn to build roms and apps? I really appreciate any help!

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
ldopa

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Im doing a ton of research so i think I do have all I need. I'll check this out now!

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

aqworldthunder

Darth Droid
Reaction score
I'm interested also.

-AqworldThunder ;) ^…^ ¶.¶ *.* Thank me if i helped please!

xksoftwaredev

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Hey guys, a good place to start would be to learn the Java programming language. Android is essentially Java. I would recommend looking into the book Head First Java if you want to learn how about the Java programming language. I haven't gone through this book exactly, but I went through another book (Head First Design Patterns) and it was excellent. Their books are awesome because they are made to be easy to read and easy to understand. Moreover, they are actually fun to read. Otherwise, go onto youtube and watch some Java tutorial videos. I plan on even making my own instructional series on youtube this summer. Android is really easy to get the hang of if you are already familiar with Java. If you have experience in another object oriented programming language like C++ or C# you'd probably have no problem just jumping into android after brushing over some javadoc. Best of luck to ya!

Here is the link to that book:
Amazon.com: Head First Java, 2nd Edition (9780596009205): Kathy Sierra, Bert Bates, Bert Bates: Books