getting double SMS notifications even though notifications are disabled in default ap

velocity92c

Reaction score
I use handcent sms and for some reason I am getting double notifications (two vibrates, two tones, two icons in the status bar). One of the notifications takes me into the default msging app even though notifications are disabled in it. Anyone have any ideas?

fallofshadows

Reaction score
I've got the same issue. I disabled the handcent notification (although I much prefer the way its icon looks). I've noticed that if you use quick reply, the notification won't go away either.

Try setting handcent to your default SMS program, if you haven't done that already. I did that, so the standard SMS icon takes me to handcent instead (weird...), and when I access it that way the icon goes away too.

I would like to see a fix for this bug though, if anyone knows.

EDIT: Hey, I just found the solution by playing around with the apps a bit.

Even after you set Handcent to the default app for texting, you still will receive notifications from the stock SMS app. You have to go into the stock SMS app itself and disable notifications; even though it's not the default app, notifications will still appear. After you go into the settings and disable them, they won't appear any more. Just use notifications from Handcent and everything will work just fine :)

Last edited:

DoubleTapp89

Reaction score
Just to let you all know. I noticed that when I'm using Handcent. I get a message and it store it on Handcent and the default messager taking up more memory on my phone. When I downloaded the app it was 1.99mb when I check up on it. it bumped up to 3.79mb. So I uninstalled the app. Don't get me wrong it was an awesome app. lol. Just thought I'd you all that was concerned about the memory.

fallofshadows

Reaction score
Eh, I guess I'm not overly concerned with the few meg difference. Handcent does everything I want a text messaging app to do, so I'm happy with it.

Just as a side note, I wonder if the increased memory was due to the amount is texts in the inbox building up?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
You have to go into the stock SMS app itself and disable notifications
OP claims that this was done. I'd suggest double (or triple or whatever) checking that it actually is disabled in the stock Messaging app's settings.

fallofshadows

Reaction score
You have to go into the stock SMS app itself and disable notifications
OP claims that this was done. I'd suggest double (or triple or whatever) checking that it actually is disabled in the stock Messaging app's settings.

I was assuming he had checked that little box "use this app for this situation" thing, and then assumed that it had disabled the stock app. That's what I did haha.