Get the Asurion insurance!

blufftontiger

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 64GB
I've had my Bionic for just over 2 weeks now. Yesterday while jogging the inevitable happened; my Bionic hit the pavement after falling out of my sleeve pocket. :mad: The screen was shattered instantly. What's funny is that I had the same thing happen numerous times with my OG Droid and it always came back without a scratch on the Gorilla Glass(I only got scratches on the metal housing).

Luckily I did go ahead an purchase the insurance when I got the Bionic. $99 later, I will be getting my replacement phone from Asurion tomorrow. The phone and touch screen still work like new, even with the cracks streaking from the upper right corner to the lower left.

I've always rocked my Droids "nude", but after this incident, I'm going to get me a good case. Any recommendations on a case that fits the extended life battery? I'd like one that can survive falls to the pavement. :biggrin:

DoctorV

Reaction score
A couple of my friends got the extended battery and picked up the stock extended battery cover from the Verizon store. It's neat because it has a built in kickstand but as far as surviving a drop to the pavement . . . meh I don't know. It would definitely be better than nothing.

I'm using an Otterbox commuter case that I feel safe with if I dropped it. I read somewhere on this forum that someone cut out the back on the Otterbox commuter case to make the extended battery fit so that's another better than nothing option.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've had my Bionic for just over 2 weeks now. Yesterday while jogging the inevitable happened; my Bionic hit the pavement after falling out of my sleeve pocket. :mad: The screen was shattered instantly. What's funny is that I had the same thing happen numerous times with my OG Droid and it always came back without a scratch on the Gorilla Glass(I only got scratches on the metal housing).

Luckily I did go ahead an purchase the insurance when I got the Bionic. $99 later, I will be getting my replacement phone from Asurion tomorrow. The phone and touch screen still work like new, even with the cracks streaking from the upper right corner to the lower left.

I've always rocked my Droids "nude", but after this incident, I'm going to get me a good case. Any recommendations on a case that fits the extended life battery? I'd like one that can survive falls to the pavement. :biggrin:

otterbox or seidio

A couple of my friends got the extended battery and picked up the stock extended battery cover from the Verizon store. It's neat because it has a built in kickstand but as far as surviving a drop to the pavement . . . meh I don't know. It would definitely be better than nothing.

I'm using an Otterbox commuter case that I feel safe with if I dropped it. I read somewhere on this forum that someone cut out the back on the Otterbox commuter case to make the extended battery fit so that's another better than nothing option.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-bionic-extended-battery-otterbox-dremel.html

McGyver777

Reaction score
insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results having your phone in your shirt pocket and it hit the ground more than once...well...perhaps instead of a cover you need an arm strap....just saying.

If you get to keep the broken phone, the bionic is extremely easy to repair...the glass is not fused to the lcd. Google ifixit.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Last edited:

marleyinoc

Reaction score
This has been a great thread! Some neat info thanks!

I fot the otter box defender and it seems that cutting the back out with care would work well. I got the case before rooting and sucked up not being able to get extended battery. But when this one starts to show signs of dying I think I'll give the dremel a shot. By then I hopefully will be able to afford a nexus prime anyway :)

via DroidForums on a Bionic running Liberty RC1

OP
blufftontiger

blufftontiger

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 64GB
insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results having your phone in your shirt pocket and it hit the ground more than once...well...perhaps instead of a cover you need an arm strap....just saying.

If you get to keep the broken phone, the bionic is extremely easy to repair...the glass is not fused to the lcd. Google ifixit.

Thanks for the information. I do have to return the broken phone, so no chance of fixing it myself. I appreciate the ifixit find.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69

I'm using the one with the kickstand and have dropped it with no damage... I love this case, kickstand plus fits all docks and extended battery.

case.jpg

Last edited:

geoffwhite18

Reaction score
I'm also using the kickstand extended battery case. It is awesome! I never had any problems dropping my og Droid and having it survive, but I decided to use the case on the bionic. The screen didn't seem to be as well protected on the bionic.

s_cuttic

Reaction score
Just don't break it again. Asurion only gives you two claims in a 12-month period. After your 2nd claim your insurance is cancelled. Every once in a while you see something about re-enrolling. Do it.

I had a blackberry storm and it fell from my pocket onto my driveway when I was hanging Christmas lights on my roof and was damaged beyond repair. Replaced it thru asurion with no problems.

A few months later I upgraded to the droid x and dropped it in the toilet a week after I got it. Got it replaced with no problems but got a letter stating I met the 2-claim limit in a 12-month period and my insurance was cancelled.

I saw on facebook verizon was offering re-enrollment for asurion so I took it. I think I only got a 1-claim per year or maybe I got the full two claims.. I don't remember.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums