Galaxy Note 7 drops Samsung SDI batteries after fires!

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
galaxy-note-7-battery-prob-e1473014882285.jpg

Samsung Electronics has reportedly decided to stop using batteries produced by its affiliate Samsung SDI in its new smartphone Galaxy Note 7 after defects found in some of the batteries led to a sweeping recall of over 2 million phablets worldwide.

“As a follow-up of the battery issue, we decided to temporally stop using Samsung SDI’s battery for Galaxy Note 7,” several local media outlets reported on Monday, citing sources from Samsung Electronics.

30 percent of batteries have been provided by Chinese battery maker ATL. It is now likely that Samsung will have to purchase additional batteries from ATL for its recall and future Note 7 stock.

Source

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
70% which explains why the global recall ...regardless of how your phones are running exchanges are in order ...

6S PLUS

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
DroidNCState
70% which explains why the global recall ...regardless of how your phones are running exchanges are in order ...

6S PLUS
I am Exchanging my phone! But only for Another Note 7!!! By the way No reports of any issues in the U.S.!!!

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I am Exchanging my phone! But only for Another Note 7!!! By the way No reports of any issues in the U.S.!!!

Yup good idea ...I agree it's a great phone why not get a new one ...always best to be safe ... you wait till they have them ready and get one before you return it ..win win

6S PLUS

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
I love the Note 7 a lot more than I expected. I'm having no issues so I'm staying the course until new ones become available. It seems like a crap shoot. Exchange a working phone that might have a problem sometime for a new one with possible problems. What concerns me is that Verizon only yesterday sent an email with Samsung quotes and still has not said they will exchange when replacements become available. I just hope it won't take a clas action suit to get this right.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
If the US Note 7 isn't an issue, it would only become a frivolous lawsuit.
IMO people get worried way to easy. If Samsung / Verizon sends me a unit to replace my current, I'll do it, but I'm not worried as the issue hasn't occurred here. If it does, I'll pay closer attention... There are many more things in life to consume our attention than an issue that's occurring across the other side of the world.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
DroidNCState
Question : Do you guys think that with all the Battery Headaches, Samsung will go back to the removable battery?

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Question : Do you guys think that with all the Battery Headaches, Samsung will go back to the removable battery?
No. I think that with the design Samsung is trying to keep removable batteries are history.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

StiffOneEye

Reaction score
I just got a text message from Verizon. Does anyone know the if an when the replacement Note 7 will be ready? The text said you only have until Sept. 30th but was unclear when it is ready. The text content implies that they are not offering a replacement, only a "return or exchange" as in an exchange for another model. However the link at the bottom says otherwise. Here's the text I received:

FREE VZW MSG: On September 2, 2016, Samsung announced a voluntary recall of the Galaxy Note7 in response to an issue with the device's battery. Because customer safety is our top priority, Verizon has stopped selling the Galaxy Note7. Additionally, through September 30, 2016, Verizon is waiving the restocking fee. If you wish to return or exchange the device, please visit the store you purchased it from. When you return your Samsung Galaxy Note 7 and buy another smartphone you will get up to $25 off any accessory. Learn more at [Statement] Samsung Will Replace Current Note7 with New One.

Last edited:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
We can only hope.
It sure would've been a lot cheaper to replace everyone's battery as opposed to everyone's device.

S5 tap'n

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
As others have said, I doubt it, especially if they want to keep the IP68 rating.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I wonder if this different battery will have more or less Up Time?
No, I would expect that since the phone was sold with specifications for the existing battery to be a particular mAh capacity that they would be unable to veer away from that capacity in a replacement battery. MAh capacity dictates runtime so the phones should work exactly as advertised with the replacement batteries.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
No, I would expect that since the phone was sold with specifications for the existing battery to be a particular mAh capacity that they would be unable to veer away from that capacity in a replacement battery. MAh capacity dictates runtime so the phones should work exactly as advertised with the replacement batteries.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Check your pm's

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk