Galaxy Nexus Email.apk no security

bdtedder

Reaction score
Great work everyone and thanks for all the tips. Got GNex yesterday and love it. Rooted following instructions on here and done in 7-10 minutes.

My questions is has anyone modified the email.apk file to bypass exchange security yet? I really dislike having to log in with a PIN every time. I have tried several email.apk files with no luck.

Thanks for the help! Hope everyone is enjoying their new phone as much as I am!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Good question. I assume someone will mod it at some point. I know one developer did that with the Gmail app (but he stopped updating it, although I don't much care for their updates anyway).

It is annoying. I don't have to put a security lock on my blackberry. My IPad doesn't have it. I at least like to disable security when at home.

jnashr

Reaction score
I dont use a pin on mine. Before I rooted I had set one up, but then I went back and removed it....did not affect my ability to check my exchange mail. After rooting, I did not set up a pin, same result.

ctkubik

Reaction score
This phone definitely ROCKS!!! I was limping around with my OG for far too long...

Are you using your companies e-mail (i.e. Exchange)? If so, that pin setting may be part of your corporate security certificate. You may need to have your IT department change that...I am using Exchange and I do not have to enter a PIN to check my e-mail. I may be way off here, but I have used Exchange with my Android devices for 3 years (2 different companies) and never had to enter a PIN.

Good luck and enjoy your new phone.

ctkubik

Reaction score
This phone definitely ROCKS!!!&nbsp; I was limping around with my OG for far too long...<br><br>Are you using your companies e-mail (i.e. Exchange)?&nbsp; If so, that pin setting may be part of your corporate security certificate.&nbsp; You may need to have your IT department change that...I am using Exchange and I do not have to enter a PIN to check my e-mail.&nbsp; I may be way off here, but I have used Exchange with my Android devices for 3 years (2 different companies) and never had to enter a PIN.&nbsp; <br><br>Good luck and enjoy your new phone.

ReaganSmash

Reaction score
This phone definitely ROCKS!!! I was limping around with my OG for far too long...

Are you using your companies e-mail (i.e. Exchange)? If so, that pin setting may be part of your corporate security certificate. You may need to have your IT department change that...I am using Exchange and I do not have to enter a PIN to check my e-mail. I may be way off here, but I have used Exchange with my Android devices for 3 years (2 different companies) and never had to enter a PIN.

Good luck and enjoy your new phone.

I believe they're referring to the PIN/pattern to unlock their phone that can be forced in Exchange by the sysadmin. If I may stick my pretty little nose in here for just a second, I'd like to suggest that there may be a reason for forcing a PIN. Helping to manage an enterprise network myself, I can empathize with any sysadmin that has to protect his or her network from its weakest link, users. The down-side of forcing a PIN is that people will do things like make them 0000 or 1234 which renders your efforts useless. Our company has had a few devices stolen, and when that user has access to sensitive data that might be stored on the device locally, it's rather troublesome to think they may have a weak PIN or no PIN at all.

Bottom line is this, you should talk to your IT department, they may not even know the setting is enabled. If they do, they're obviously concerned about the security of company data, and IMHO, you should be concerned about the security of your personal data. I'll step off my soapbox now, good luck in your quest.

volando

Reaction score
Bookmarked... hopefully someone will post here as soon as this is released! I used a hacked version from xda-dev on GB and not entering the stupid pin was awesome!

WANT

p.s. You can always buy touchdown, it allows you to only have to enter the pin when entering that app, not for the phone overall...

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I use enhanced email at the moment. It has a few hiccups as the developer is still finishing up full ICS support but I can disable security if I want. I understand that the system administrators do it for a reason, but I'm a medical student at a state hospital and at the moment I don't have access to any sensitive information. Maybe in the future when I actually do I won't disable it but until then I don't see a point.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

OP
B

bdtedder

Reaction score
Has anyone found or created a modified email.apk to work on ICS and GNEX yet? I am still looking. I hate the pin code. I understand the risk to corporate security, but I prefer the lock pattern rather than typing in "1111" every time.

???

Reaction score
yes it sucks, someone hack this.. my email from work is all pretty much bs, but i still need to check that bs to know what's going on.

???

Reaction score
I am trying the free 30day trial of touch down. It's kinda plain looking but works. not sure it's worth 20$ when the trial is over thou.

id be happy to pay like 5$ thou

cobjones

Reaction score
Enhanced email is cheaper and works just fine with no pin.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums