Galaxy 3 for Galaxy 4?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
There will be ROMs based off of the S4's system that will bring some of the new software features to the S3. The S3 is also supposed to get a lot of them via OTA anyway, but who knows how long that will take. This is a great video Wicked posted over at our sister site, Samsung Galaxy S4 Forum, comparing the two with regard to day to day usage and features - it should answer a lot of your questions, but it will boil down to how important some of the improvements are to you:

[video=youtube;KP3VoX6bQeE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KP3VoX6bQeE[/video]

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I won't be!!

Still love my GS3. People are AMAZED at how customized it is. In fact a lot of people can't use it because they accidentally open things or move to another page or something. And when iPhone users see all the widgets I have, and realize they have to go into settings or open an app to do the same thing....the way they try to hide the jealousy...it's great...

Point being I have absolutely no reason to upgrade unless I want to feel cool with the latest and greatest. I've done this a lot in the past and what I've learned is.....it's not worth it. Wait about 4-5 months for initial reviews/problems/fixes. You might find the S4 is just a flashier S3. Sure NOW it sounds way more advanced, but the X2 was supposed to blow the X out of the water.

Yeah, that didn't happen...

daimien

Reaction score
I'm waiting fpr the note 3

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Droid Forums

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
I think the IR blaster is one of the coolest things, and if I could afford it I would get it just for that. No more handling sketchy hotel remotes, or yelling at the kids when they hide my home remote. The screen will be awesome I am sure, but i would be surprised if it really makes much of a difference on such a small screen. There really just isn't much that the S3 is lacking, and I wont upgrade till Bid Red forces me out of my unlimited plan. But props to those that can always have the newest super-phone.

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have to respectfully dis-agree. The SGS4 has a full 1080 HD display, 13 MP Camera, and a Quad-core processor. Thats a pretty dramatic improvement in my humble opinion.
I think not, the improvement is not dramatic over the S3.

I got both the Droid DNA and Note 2 when they came out. There is a VERY noticable difference between the 1080 display on the DNA, and the lower res Note 2. It's surprisingly noticeable.
I think the IR blaster is one of the coolest things, and if I could afford it I would get it just for that. No more handling sketchy hotel remotes, or yelling at the kids when they hide my home remote. The screen will be awesome I am sure, but i would be surprised if it really makes much of a difference on such a small screen. There really just isn't much that the S3 is lacking, and I wont upgrade till Bid Red forces me out of my unlimited plan. But props to those that can always have the newest super-phone.

jamjr74

Reaction score
Love my s3 too but o am a cell phone fanatic. Haha. Gonna have to grab either the s4 or HTC one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

huskur

Reaction score
The deal breaker (for me right now) is that you can only get the S4 in 16GB where you can get the S3 in 16,32,64 GB versions. For a phone of this caliber 16GB is a "no win". I understand you can put a 64GB micro in it but only so much can go on it. Hell, 6 GB of the 16 GB is already eaten up by OS and bloatware. (YES, I have the Note 2 that only has 16GB of onboard storage....that is what I don't like about it)

Now if they offer a 32 or 64 GB S4 then I will likely get one.

Did the S3 start out only being offered in 16GB? Does anyone remember?

Last edited:

jamjr74

Reaction score
The deal breaker (for me right now) is that you can only get the S4 in 16GB where you can get the S3 in 16,32,64 GB versions. For a phone of this caliber 16GB is a "no win". I understand you can put a 64GB micro in it but only so much can go on it. Hell, 6 GB of the 16 GB is already eaten up by OS and bloatware. (YES, I have the Note 2 that only has 16GB of onboard storage....that is what I don't like about it)

Now if they offer a 32 or 64 GB S4 then I will likely get one.

Did the S3 start out only being offered in 16GB? Does anyone remember?

As far as I remember the s3 was available in 16, 32 & 64 right from the get go.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Love my s3 too but o am a cell phone fanatic. Haha. Gonna have to grab either the s4 or HTC one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

We just switched to T-Mobile and I'm trying out the HTC One. 14 days to swap it out for the S4 (comes next week) or other device, or keep obviously! I'm extremely impressed with it so far, it's an incredible device. Just FWIW...

jamjr74

Reaction score
We just switched to T-Mobile and I'm trying out the HTC One. 14 days to swap it out for the S4 (comes next week) or other device, or keep obviously! I'm extremely impressed with it so far, it's an incredible device. Just FWIW...

Yeah I'm leaving Verizon to try T-Mobile too. Cant decide between HTC one or s4. I've had s3 since launch so might try HTC for a different feel.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm leaving Verizon to try T-Mobile too. Cant decide between HTC one or s4. I've had s3 since launch so might try HTC for a different feel.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

14 days / $50 restocking fee to swap it out, just FYI. I think it's worth a try unless you're hooked on Samsung's software, feel, etc. Maybe check One (ha!) out in the store for a bit if you haven't already. It's the only Android device I've ever had that had that same premium feel to it as an iPhone, and the software is very very smooth and snappy. But last night I got out my Verizon S3 to prep it to sell and found myself feeling comforted by the familiar look and feel of the OS... lol, if that makes any sense. :)

If you're into rooting / romming at all, it's super easy to root since you can officially unlock the bootloader via htcdev.com. You'll find the freedoms like that on T-Mobile very refreshing vs. Verizon.