Froyo on X

phatkat66

Reaction score
I think I saw someone mention you can't be themed, if thats still the case I think it should be mentioned in the OP. Also if possible plz post a link to untheme (i remember seeing a method to untheme any theme)

Reaction score
I love the flash! One thing I use but cannot get working is WiFi Tether. I was running 2.1 rooted with WiFi tether from the market. I downloaded the rooted version and installed. Now when I try to start the tether it says "Unable to start tethering. Please try again!" . I did two battery pulls and I am still getting this message. Any idea what I am doing wrong? I know it is me.

713King

Reaction score
The OP needs to clarify on the two files that are being shared there as it is causing confusion as to witch one to run. What the rooted update.zip means to me is that if you are unrooted you need to run update.zip or if you are already rooted and want to stay rooted run that file and if you want to be unrooted and stay unrooted just run update.zip???????????

Nadious

Reaction score
Ok, I'm a non-rooted Droid X user and I installed the 'non-rooted' version of the file. (If you are rooted, you use the rooted version. If you aren't, you use the non-rooted. That was the answer to my question.)

I can confirm that the non-rooted version works and I'm running 2.2 right now. I can tell the phone is much smoother.

However, one thing upsets me:

I still cannot get my phone to RING. I have that stupid 'vibrate only' issue and even after this update, I'm stuck in the same position. I've tried all the fixes posted and NOTHING gets my phone to work properly to make it ring on incoming calls.

713King

Reaction score
Well if it doesn't ring return your phone? Also since you ran the unrooted version is your phone rooted or not rooted?

armedmonkey

Reaction score
Can you return your phone? =\

Also, so if the rooted version doesn't ROOT your phone, is it better to root before you update? I've been waiting for 2.2 before I bothered rooting, so I wanna get it done, i just wanna know which way is easier, thanks.

steveomac

Reaction score
so is this the OTA update that they will be sending out or just a new build?

armedmonkey

Reaction score
Crap. I got excited. Now I looked at the directions at MDW - You HAVE to root BEFORE you update. Only way, guys. Sorry for double post

713King

Reaction score
Ok, if you want to be rooted after the update.zip root your phone, but if you want to stay unrooted just put zip file into sdcard, go to recovery than install the update.zip... to armedmonkey if you didnt read the OP in MYDROIDWORLD you dont have to be rooted, stop giving bad information thats why people get confused

713King

Reaction score
In case anyone missed it:

MyDroidWorld Exlusive: Droid X Froyo for Everyone including non rooted phones

Well, I can't return it now with Froyo on it. Everyone keeps saying: "Just do a factory reset", this also coming from a Verizon Employee. I'm trying to avoid having to do that. I can't understand why it quit ringing. It just stopped one day and hasn't gone back.

Well yes you can because there is an SBF file out to return the phone back to stock, and if it still does that problem after running the SBF file return the phone and say to them you already done factory reset to try to fix your issue and it still didnt solve it.