Froyo 2.2 check for update not available

mcad00

Reaction score
Can't seem to get the new 2.2 update. System update says "Check for update was not available at this time. Try again later." Any suggestions?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
The same thing happened to me at first. I thought it was because I was connected to my wick network, but had no internet connection on the phone, because turning wick off got it to work.

Are either of you using wifi? Have you tried turning the phone off, waiting a minute, then turning it on again?

Emitted from X.

OP
M

mcad00

Reaction score
Wifi is off. I've tried pulling the battery and clearing the browser cache. I started receiving this message about a week ago. I just assumed that it was in preparation to the update. I didn't even know that 2.2 was available until today. When I select System Update it immediately goes to the error message. It does not even act like it's trying to get an update. I havent tried turning on wifi and connecting first. I will try that when I get home today.

Power

Reaction score
Might try turning ON WiFi and check again after a battery pull. I had my WiFi enabled and connected the night it was released and got it after checking for it.

OP
M

mcad00

Reaction score
yeah, I'm hoping that's it. Won't know until I get home. No wifi here at work. If that doesn't work, I wonder if we'll just have to wait until the update gets pushed to the phone. Does anyone know if this is already being done? Could any apps be conflicting with it. I had ATK installed but uninistalled. Any settings that I could look for?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Wifi is off. I've tried pulling the battery and clearing the browser cache. I started receiving this message about a week ago. I just assumed that it was in preparation to the update. I didn't even know that 2.2 was available until today. When I select System Update it immediately goes to the error message. It does not even act like it's trying to get an update. I havent tried turning on wifi and connecting first. I will try that when I get home today.

I find it weird that you got the message a week ago. The update only became available on Wednesday.

Forgive me, I'm on my dx right now, are you now or have you ever been rooted?

I'm hoping you wont need to do a factory reset to get things working...might not hurt to call customer service before resorting to that if we can't figure something else out that gets you updated...

Emitted from X.

OP
M

mcad00

Reaction score
No I'm not rooted. I've only had the phone for about a month maybe and this is my first android (old blackberry user), so I'm a newbie. I started checking the System Updates regularly ever since I got the phone because I was told that the update would be at any time. When I first got the phone it would give me the " your phone is up to date" message. And then about a week ago it started giving me the "check update not available" one. I got my hopes up thinking that the check update was unavailable because they were about to release it. So I've been checking 9 or 10 times a day since. Then I decided to google it today and found out it was released 2 days ago. So here I am.

kaz

Reaction score
How to fix "check for update not available"

Settings – data manager – data delivery – social applications - sync over wifi => off. If you are not on wifi, you have to disable this or the check for updates will never work.

Last edited:
OP
M

mcad00

Reaction score
Well Kaz, I just checked that setting and it was set to ON. However i tried connecting to my wifi and still got the same message. But when I set the sync over wifi to off, now instead of immediately getting the "check update not available" message, it just says "checking for available update. please stand by". It hasn't found an update yet. How long should it take? Its been checking for about 20 min.

kaz

Reaction score
sync over wifi has to be off if you're trying to get the update OTA I don't know anything about doing it over wifi

OP
M

mcad00

Reaction score
well its off now and I'm not connected to wifi, and like i said earlier, now its just sitting there checking for updates. any other settings i can try?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
This is crazy...I'm seriously at a loss. Ran into a buddy with a dx at the bar this/last night and asked if he got the update. He didn't even know it was available.

I watched him start the update and check the progress and saw him across the street later and asked if he got it. He gave a thumbs up.

His battery was at around 25%, lower than recommended while not on the charger.

Aside from trying the factory reset, all I can think is to call customer service...

Emitted from X.

OP
M

mcad00

Reaction score
Just got an email from Verizon this morning, here it is: "The over the air software update will be sent to the Droid X devices within the next
few weeks.

As with any update, the user will be notified that a system update is available on
the device. Press “install now" and the device will power off and back on, and the
installation process will begin.

For a complete list of enhancements and step-by-step instructions on how to
download the update, visit
verizonwireless.com/droidxsupport.

Please share this exciting news and update instructions with your employees
who have the DROID X device."