frequency response plot of HTC Incredible's 3.5mm output

jasonb

Reaction score
here is some scientific testing of the frequency response of the HTC Droid Incredible's 3.5mm headphone jack for anybody who is interested. this is pink noise played out of the headphone jack and input into my laptops microphone jack. i calibrated the sound card on my laptop so these results should be accurate.

pink%20noise%20test%20from%20droid%20inc%20%232.jpg

pretty flat. the top end has a slight decline, but it's not a sharp drop by any means.

for anybody that has never done any measuring of audio with a pink noise track it will look jagged. you are supposed to take several measurements and average them together. this is just one quick measurment, so it will look jagged.

this is of course only 1 factor that determines sound quality. this is just frequency response. it is relatively flat which is good.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Heya,

Can I get the english version, please ;)

tktouch12

Reaction score
thats pretty cool to see. i wonder how the droid would do on this test

mtxpert

Reaction score
here is some scientific testing of the frequency response of the HTC Droid Incredible's 3.5mm headphone jack for anybody who is interested. this is pink noise played out of the headphone jack and input into my laptops microphone jack. i calibrated the sound card on my laptop so these results should be accurate.
###Graph Removed####
pretty flat. the top end has a slight decline, but it's not a sharp drop by any means.

for anybody that has never done any measuring of audio with a pink noise track it will look jagged. you are supposed to take several measurements and average them together. this is just one quick measurment, so it will look jagged.

this is of course only 1 factor that determines sound quality. this is just frequency response. it is relatively flat which is good.

Except for nobody listens to their music "flat", it sounds like crap. Most Americans listen to music with "smiley face" equalization (lots of lows and highs). The one thing that Android did wrong was no equalization capabilities within the operating system. Even though my incredible is louder than the droid I still want to be able to do some massaging of the output.

OP
jasonb

jasonb

Reaction score
Heya,

Can I get the english version, please ;)

lol. i'm not sure the best way to explain it. flatter is a more accurate representation of the actual music, but not always ideal for listening.

thats pretty cool to see. i wonder how the droid would do on this test

i could, and probably will test the droid as well. i have the next two days off and it only takes a couple of minutes to do the test, so i probably will do it soon.

###Graph Removed####

Except for nobody listens to their music "flat", it sounds like crap. Most Americans listen to music with "smiley face" equalization (lots of lows and highs). The one thing that Android did wrong was no equalization capabilities within the operating system. Even though my incredible is louder than the droid I still want to be able to do some massaging of the output.

exactly. the only people who may like a flat sound are true audiophiles. i am obsessed with sound but i do not like my music flat by any means. i am not a bass freak, but i do like my bass. flat just sounds harsh and boring. in my opinion though it would have been a worse idea for android to make the curve like a smiley face. at least flat is a good starting point. if they threw a default curve on it with no way to change it that would be much worse IMO.

both my car and home stereo are tuned exactly to my liking, so plugging the Inc in with its relatively flat response works very very well for me. no complaints there.

the problem is with headphones. you pretty much need to be knowledgeable about audio and pick headphones that have the frequency response you like since there is no built in EQ in android devices. if you look hard enough you'll find frequency response graphs for most popular headphones online. otherwise you'll most likely end up buying headphones that are not ideal and you'll hate the sound. not all headphones are created equal, not by a long shot.

it would be nice if android included an adjustable EQ or if somebody could come up with an EQ that could work along with all the music applications out there. just a single music player with an EQ would be kind of pointless, you'd want it to also work with Pandora, Slacker and all the rest.

the reason i did the test was because i had heard a few people who said they were displeased with the sound saying the bass and highs were lacking or even missing. the graph disproves that. the bass and highs are there, nothing is missing, nothing is wrong. android just needs an EQ.

bsoa123

Reaction score
Would it be possible for someone to develop a equalizer app on either a rooted or unrooted phone?

OP
jasonb

jasonb

Reaction score
Would it be possible for someone to develop a equalizer app on either a rooted or unrooted phone?

the moto milestone has an EQ. it had been ported to the droid, but it required a lot of work from what i hear.

i believe android at some point will throw an EQ in for us. i'm not to concerned though. it works well in my car and plugged into my home stereo and it works well with the headphones i have right now.