Fooling facelock

bufordtpisser

Reaction score
My 12 year old son figured out that by taking a close up high resolution picture of me that he can unlock my facelock enabled Bionic. Not much security in that.

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
bufordtpisser said:
My 12 year old son figured out that by taking a close up high resolution picture of me that he can unlock my facelock enabled Bionic. Not much security in that.

Yeah this was proven way back in November when the Galaxy Nexus was making its debut. Theirs videos on YouTube about it.

striker85

Reaction score
Facelock is terrible unreliable and inconvenient. The principle is sound, but it has a lot to be desired.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

OP
B

bufordtpisser

Reaction score
Having worked in biometrics for a few years, I just had to try it. It is a novelty at best. I also work in the IT security field so I had to at least give it a whirl. I now work in HIPAA compliance and am getting all of the usual questions from my providers. It will be fun to see the look on their faces when I show them how easy it is to fool it. Flashbacks to using gelatin with wire mesh embedded to fool the print readers.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Maybe not so great for around the house security with kids, BUT leave your phone somewhere in public, way more likely they'll be able to slide to unlock as opposed to be carrying a high res picture of YOU in their pocket.

I haven't even been able to try it so I can't comment much, but I think that was the intent. Not necessarily to keep kids or loved ones out...

bbtkd

Reaction score
Maybe not so great for around the house security with kids, BUT leave your phone somewhere in public, way more likely they'll be able to slide to unlock as opposed to be carrying a high res picture of YOU in their pocket.

I haven't even been able to try it so I can't comment much, but I think that was the intent. Not necessarily to keep kids or loved ones out...

...no, they'll just have to know your name so they can bring you up on facebook....

wseyller

Reaction score
I wish they would not allow a still picture but use video so that it sees your face moving, smile, eyes blink or something to that nature. Otherwise I find it quicker to use a pattern if need. Sometimes if the room is too dark it isn't going to work anyway, and then your going to have to take extra time to bypass that with a pattern unlock. It is more of a hassle to me than an advantage.