Should I get my son a Droid Bionic

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have no problem with the dissenting opinion but I always find it so odd that people's opinions are so widely different. You often find something that everyone says is crap, but to see something so praised by some and bashed by others over similar parameters makes it tough.

The net though is that this phone is for a 16yo and I don't want to buy the latest/greatest (My Nexus will be in pocket today :))

In 2005 I got a Prius. At that time they were as rare as hen's teeth. On a Prius forum there were threads about how horrible the seats were and how they were in pain after 30 minutes. We'd find out later that they saw a Prius on the lot and, without a test drive, bought it on the spot. Later conversation showed that they were either too tall or large for the OEM seats. Others (like me) had no problems with the seats can could drive for a long time without discomfort.

Who was right about the seats? Both were, as it applies to them. The opinions here are subjective; we don't live in the same area. We don't have the same requirements in a phone. We don't even have the same apps. Some are rooting as soon as they get the Bionic, others are waiting. I'd expect widely different opinions. After all, even a modest search on these forums have people loving the Bionic and people frustrated with it.

That being said, if I had a phone based on my needs rather than my wants, I'd still have my Moto E815. :blink:

Last edited:

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
I have no problem with the dissenting opinion but I always find it so odd that people's opinions are so widely different. You often find something that everyone says is crap, but to see something so praised by some and bashed by others over similar parameters makes it tough.

The net though is that this phone is for a 16yo and I don't want to buy the latest/greatest (My Nexus will be in pocket today :))

I don't know about your 16yo, but mine is very much into the "cool factor" with some things. Not so much to impress others, but he knows what so many of the other phones can and can't do and is a gadget freak just like his parents. The three Bionics which reside on my account have worked very well so far. The Otterbox Defender is an awesome piece of physical insurance for dropping. It's a very well built, sturdy phone at a great price today. My guess is, if you're on this forum, you know there is controversy with this phone. It's a love/hate thing. We, personally, love ours.

4G might be something to seriously consider. You said you have unlimited data. NO reason not to go that direction, really. If you're not in a 4G area now, you will be before his contract is up.

His first smart phone? He'll be blown away, I bet, with whatever you choose to buy for him.

Enjoy that Nexus of yours and let us know what you decide for your son...

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm going back and forth. The X2 (G3) is currently free at Amazon, it has a large screen, dual core etc. Really nice but no 4G. I'm not sure if he's notice and realistically he'll only use this phone for around 18 months most likely.

Concistency

Reaction score
It's a great phone, I've loved it sense the day I bought it. I wish when I got my first smart phone I would of gotten 4g and a phone like the Bionic, lol.

GenieAngel

Reaction score
The Bionic sucks, have you seen the screen on that thing? I would go with the Samsung Charge. I wish I never gave it back. There are some really good deals on it now too.

ex0rcist

Reaction score
The Bionic sucks, have you seen the screen on that thing? I would go with the Samsung Charge. I wish I never gave it back. There are some really good deals on it now too.

Charge over a dual core lte phone? Haha...smh.

rumblee1

Reaction score
I've had my bionic since week 2, and love it more every day. As with ALL phones, it has had a minor bug or 2, but the last update solved those issues. The best reason to get the bionic over the RAZR for me was the fact of the battery being able to be pulled. Not only to do a reset, but to pop in a fresh battery during high usage times while on 4g. I have a friend with a RAZR, and many with the iphone. When they run out of power, they look like chipmunks scrambling for food while they look for an electrical outlet to recharge. If they're out of the office, they're in trouble. Get the bionic AND an extra battery.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

azdrifter

Reaction score
Charge over a dual core lte phone? Haha...smh.

I agree whatever phone you choose the best bet will be a dual core phone and 4g is the way to go you might not have it in your area at the moment but when you are in it the speed will blow your mind!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Perhaps this thread should be closed. The OP asked the same question to the Charge and X2 groups and actually got their son a phone as of December 19th.

Right now this thread is like a lobster "ghost trap."

Last edited: