[FIX] Bing removal breaks search button (requires rooted)

Mr.Green

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just got my revo and the first order of business was to remove any traces of Bing. So I quickly downloaded Titanium and a couple of backups and uninstalls later, I was like "Heck yea no more bing!":D I didnt think about LG mapping the search button to open Bing from home.apk.:sad:

So here is a fix if you are like me and want to get rid of Bing. It remaps your search button to bring up your phone instead of searching. I really only wanted to change it for home.apk but I am still working on that part.

Using root explorer (can also use ADB and pull the file but that is more involved ... if you really want to know the method let me know and I will post it too though)

1. If you havent already rooted your phone DO IT :), download superuser, download root explorer (it does cost money but I use it quite a bit so it is worth it)

2. Open Root Explorer
3. Navigate to /system/usr/keylayout
4. Switch to mount R/W
5. Press and hold "touch_keypad.kl" until menu pops up
6. Select Open in Text Editor
7. For key 217, delete "SEARCH" and type "CALL"
watch out for the stupid autoformat period it likes to put in there
8. It will pop up with a warning about saving (dont worry it backs it up)
9. Select Yes
10. Reboot your phone

Now when you touch the search button it brings up your phone. I actaully like it most of the time as an added convenience. It is a phone after all. Funny how most phones dont have phone buttons anymore.

If anyone knows how to map buttons at just the home screen for home.apk let me know.

YAY NO MORE BING! :icon_ banana:

Revolutionizer

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just got my revo and the first order of business was to remove any traces of Bing. So I quickly downloaded Titanium and a couple of backups and uninstalls later, I was like "Heck yea no more bing!":D I didnt think about LG mapping the search button to open Bing from home.apk.:sad:

So here is a fix if you are like me and want to get rid of Bing. It remaps your search button to bring up your phone instead of searching. I really only wanted to change it for home.apk but I am still working on that part.

Using root explorer (can also use ADB and pull the file but that is more involved ... if you really want to know the method let me know and I will post it too though)

1. If you havent already rooted your phone DO IT :), download superuser, download root explorer (it does cost money but I use it quite a bit so it is worth it)

2. Open Root Explorer
4. Switch to mount R/W
9. Select Yes
10. Reboot your phone

Now when you touch the search button it brings up your phone. I actaully like it most of the time as an added convenience. It is a phone after all. Funny how most phones dont have phone buttons anymore.

If anyone knows how to map buttons at just the home screen for home.apk let me know.

YAY NO MORE BING! :icon_ banana:

I myself havent rooted so this doesnt apply to me, but! i see alot of people asking this question.. is there a way to map it to google search?? :)

OP
M

Mr.Green

Reaction score
I myself havent rooted so this doesnt apply to me, but! i see alot of people asking this question.. is there a way to map it to google search?? :)

I am going to be working on that today. I am really hoping to get a recovery soon and some more development going on this phone. With it being completely unlocked it should be a dev's dream phone if they have verizon.

Revolutionizer

Reaction score

I am going to be working on that today. I am really hoping to get a recovery soon and some more development going on this phone. With it being completely unlocked it should be a dev's dream phone if they have verizon.

Yeah the only reason i havent rooted is because i want to have a recovery if i do! Please do let us know if you find a way to map the search capacitive button to google! I really dont mind bing though to be honest

devinhfox

Reaction score
Any idea how to replace the long press action?
I used to be able on my d2 to long press search and say 'navigate to target ' and it would pull up Google nav.
Bing doesn't even begin to know what to do with that, it thinks I'm doing a web search for navigation.

Duh, missing my Google voice search.

Sent from my GTablet-TnT-Lite using Tapatalk

powder

Reaction score
Any idea how to replace the long press action?
I used to be able on my d2 to long press search and say 'navigate to target ' and it would pull up Google nav.
Bing doesn't even begin to know what to do with that, it thinks I'm doing a web search for navigation.

Duh, missing my Google voice search.

Sent from my GTablet-TnT-Lite using Tapatalk

Maybe it knows what you want but won't do anything google related on a google os. Stupid MS.

mmafreak22

Reaction score

2. Open Root Explorer
4. Switch to mount R/W
9. Select Yes
10. Reboot your phone

so i have the lg revolution and it has been rooted. i to have a problem with the search button since bing has been removed. i installed google search, is there something i can type instead of "CALL" or "SEARCH" that will open up google search? any help would be appreciated. thanks!

mursepaolo

Reaction score
there's a way to tie in google search to the button by renaming something... i can't find the thread about it though! i had to do it on my OG droid!