First time APP set-up- Droid Newb

rugby1

Reaction score
Hi-

The D3 arrives tomorrow and I need to get the bad boy running right away before I leave for a trip. Really jazzed up about these apps. From reading this forum I plan deviating from stock apps-

By putting on Launcher Pro; GOSMS or handcent; Dolphin Browser and possibly the K-9 email app. Questions I have-

1) Does the launcher solve any problem of having a slow, lagging phone and hiding stock apps I don't need etc.? Never used on before. I am a BB convert.

2) I have a few emails addresses I use for business and personal (domains through gmail) and one small corp. email. Do I need a separate email app/client? Like K-9? Does the launcher have one built in or will it default to Moto's?

3) Do you recommend getting away from stock browser and use something like Dolphin?

Thanks in advance! dancedroid

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
i think you need to get your phone first, all your questions make it obvious you've never used an android before.

and compared to whatever bb you have, there wont be any lag to you.

you don't need a second email app, but thats up to you.

the launcher allows you to change what apps it...launches...

dolphin again is a personal preference, it offers nothing rendering wise over the stock browser...does offer some aesthetic/ui differences.

coming from a bb you will most likely receive your phone and be very happy with all the default programs..

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
First off, welcome.

A different launcher makes things way faster and hides apps you don't want to see. I use Launcher Pro.

Your phone will default to the MotoBLUR email engine. You will probably want to use K9.

I use Dolphin because I download a bunch of files and had issues with the stock browser and downloads. Dolphin is much better.

SSX v2.0

OP
R

rugby1

Reaction score
Thanks guys. After being a 'use what they give me' mobile phone user since 1991...I figure I'll change that right out of the gate with the DROID.

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
Here is my recommendation man, your going to love this thing regardless, just take a few days and enjoy the device as is, don't worry about LauncherPro or K9 check out the stock ones, they actually are quite nice. You can make a custom app folder for all the apps you use using the stock launcher and then use that as your default app drawer so you wont see any of the others anyway. And the built in Gmail and Email apps I don't think are bad at all, I prefer the stock google/android ones, because personally I don't like using 3rd parties for my personal info that often but everyone is different, But I would at least give them a try and see what you think, You can always add them at a later time, or take them away again, its nothing your stuck with, but being new to Android just take some time to get to it first.

as far as texting apps, the built in one isn't bad, but I do prefer GoSMSPro, I couldn't stand handcent myself with the adds and what not, it was just annoying and it didn't have a nice flow to it i didn't think. but I like my stuff simple. Go SMS Pro has no ads and the layout is rather nice and there are just as many if not more features in Go SMS and there are implemented better I think.

Just my thoughts on things I have been with Android since launch day of the D 1 back in nov of 09 and I can tell you for a fact once you get into Android you will love it, the D3 is my second device and although doing custom ROMs and what not on the D1 for a long time now and enjoying all of that, the D3 is actually a great device even running the stock firmware. Root and what now will only make it better along with the experience of custom ROMs on the D3, but as a stock device for the average user, it is actually really nice.

check out this thread for a nice little touch of hidden features while we wait for the update that actually allows this to work from the beginning.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-3/160309-how-access-hidden-features-moto-blur.html

Thanks guys. After being a 'use what they give me' mobile phone user since 1991...I figure I'll change that right out of the gate with the DROID.