First 5-10 things I should do with my new Droid?

eregitano

Reaction score
Traded in the ole BB for a Droid and looking for some help on 5 or so things I should do right away to optimize the unit. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

CatsTide

Reaction score
Traded in the ole BB for a Droid and looking for some help on 5 or so things I should do right away to optimize the unit. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
look through the market for cool apps
read this forum

the first thing i did when i came from a bb was to search the market for replacement apps for the ones i had on my bb.

dub8420

Reaction score
Not sure about a certain order or the first 5 but I would get a task killer(market) and read on this forum about optimizing the battery life by turning off certain unused functions and things like that. I'm new to the whole smartphone age with the first being my droid and it's been awesome just exploring the phone and this site finding out things I didn't even think were possible for this phone. enjoy

CatsTide

Reaction score
Not sure about a certain order or the first 5 but I would get a task killer(market) and read on this forum about optimizing the battery life by turning off certain unused functions and things like that. I'm new to the whole smartphone age with the first being my droid and it's been awesome just exploring the phone and this site finding out things I didn't even think were possible for this phone. enjoy
much discussion on here about using a task killer. i used one for months(even bought one).now i don't use one at all...:icon_ banana:

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

1. Get Screebl. It will help you save some battery juice and it will keep the screen from dimming while you are reading something for an extended period of time. Screebl watches the phone's orientation to know when you are using it and will keep the screen active for you. You can then go to Home Screen/Menu/Settings/Sound&Display/Screen Timeout and set it for 15 seconds. So if you just set the phone down (Screebl will know), the Droid will go to sleep mode in 15 seconds, thus supposedly saving you battery juice.

2. Get DocToGo (full) for Word/PDF/Excel/PowerPoint. It will also be the best email attachment viewer.

3. Get K-9 mail and use it instead of the native email program. After you download it from the Market, go here to get their latest updates as they are very slow about putting the most recent update on the Market.

4. Read everything on this and other sites!! :icon_ banana:

The above is just my opinion (but I've never been wrong before!!).

FSRBIKER

Reaction score
K9 for email
Handcent for texts
XScope for a browser
Slacker, DroidLive
Better Cut
Home replacements all are a little quirky, I am using Home++ Beta right now but hope the new update to 2.1 solves the shortfalls of the 2.0
DockRunner is nice if you don't have the home dock

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
K9 for email
Handcent for texts
XScope for a browser
Slacker, DroidLive
Better Cut
Home replacements all are a little quirky, I am using Home++ Beta right now but hope the new update to 2.1 solves the shortfalls of the 2.0
DockRunner is nice if you don't have the home dock

everyone is posting what works best for them. not that thats bad or anything but read this:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-if-you-could-only-have-recommend-5-apps.html

and find which ones you think you would use/like the most

hinky

Reaction score
- K9 for email. Built in is beyond worthless.
- Get a Google voice account and forward your email to Google Voice. You'll get visual voice mail for free and have the pleasure of telling Verizon Wireless to shove the $3 a month up where the sun don't shine.
- Get Quicksettings (the other ones unfortunately fail) so you won't be going bananas back and forth shutting off WiFi, GPS, brightness, etc.
- Get Battery Indicator free. Stupidly, Motorola didn't include any way of seeing the battery life remaining as a percentage instead of some meaningless icon
- Get Advanced Task Killer to kill applications since this thing doesn't know the meaning of terminating apps and most apps don't have an exit key

Browser is fine, I've used dolphin too. Nothing essential.

roberj13

Reaction score
Handcent
Google Voice
Beautiful Widgets
Pure Calendar Grid
ASTRO

I won't mention the 5-15 because you might go down the path I have and become addicted to flashing ROMS every 3 days..lol

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
First 5-10 things I should do with my new Droid?
1. Stay up to date with DroidForums.net.
2. Figure out what you want to do with your Droid rather than collect a bunch of responses indicating what others do with their Droids.

everyone is posting what works best for them.
Well, the OP did post a very subjective question. The answers are only going to be beneficial to those that have the exact same wants/needs as those replying.

amajamar

Reaction score
3. Get K-9 mail and use it instead of the native email program. After you download it from the Market, go here to get their latest updates as they are very slow about putting the most recent update on the Market.

Go where to update K9?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score