Questions and advice on if I should exchange for a new one.

anabolix

Reaction score
So I had my droid for about 2 weeks. Had absolutely no problems the first 5 days. Then it started force closing on messaging almost every time I hit around 200+ messages(I had it to not delete any messages.) and it would freeze the whole phone up and I would have to restart it....SO I installed handcent sms and had much fewer problems but still force closed about 6 times now, after lot more texts but at the same time that is a lot more texts I'm losing as well. And losing text messages is really annoying....what phone can't even text message without any problems(noting that its probably just my phone and not all moto droids).

DON'T GET ME WRONG! I love the motorola droid so much! Coming from old LG Chocolate 2, this phone is light years ahead and it is so cool.

Anyways this phone seems to have good and bad phases for example it'll be fine but than out of nowhere it will lag pretty bad. A better example is when the phones idle and the screen goes blank and I slide out the key board it takes 1-2 seconds for the screen to comeback on. Pretty annoying. Another problem is that the phone has been suddenly rebooting it self out of nowhere. I'll be texting than it freezes up for a second and I'll be like uhhh...than it restarts....:icon_evil:

Ok these problems wouldn't bother me too much if the phone was like 5-12 months old...But I had the dang phone for 2 weeks and I'm really scared it might totally crap out on me after my 30 days (knowing my luck)..so I'm asking you guys if I should exchange it for a new one and what type of things to say to the person at the Verizon store so he doesn't get all up in my case other than the real problems I am having.

NOTE: I have like no 3rd party apps on here as well.

Sorry for the long post but I'm nervous and I want to have a droid that will last me a long time.

Cliffs:
1. Lags
2. Texting lags/freezes/force closes/deletes all texts- makes me angry.
3. Now rebooting out of nowhere here and there- plain pain in the a**.
4. Worried and nervous that the phone will really start having issues after my 30 days because I have bad luck.
5. Wondering if I should exchange for a new one and what I should say to the Verizon employee other than the real problems I am having to make things easier.

Thank you very much for your time and please help a fellow droid user out.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
there's all kinds of apps at the market to save sms and mms :D

OP
A

anabolix

Reaction score
Yes I used wavesecure. But thats not the problem, I mean messaging shouldn't be force closing ever! In other words, I shouldn't be going on wavesecure everytime I text and backing up text messages...that would make me hate the phone! :wacko:
I guess I forgot to mention other apps seem to force close every so often as well and its very annoying.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes I used wavesecure. But thats not the problem, I mean messaging shouldn't be force closing ever! In other words, I shouldn't be going on wavesecure everytime I text and backing up text messages...that would make me hate the phone! :wacko:
I guess I forgot to mention other apps seem to force close every so often as well and its very annoying.

You kind of hit the nail on the head. It's probably the apps that are force closing, not the Droid.

You stated that this didn't happen the first 5 days. How many apps did you have then? So something you are using may be causing this but the only way to find out is to remove all apps and start adding them back in one at a time.

OP
A

anabolix

Reaction score
I have deleted almost all apps except handcent, dolphin, wavesecure, and lookout. The phones still lagging a bit. Handcent has not been crashing so far however, even the dial pad or whatever force closed when I was trying to make a phone call so I had to restart it....

Despite any problems that may be related to the apps, it is still not good if my phone rebooted it self a couple times. I will definitely try to get a new one.

givmedew

Reaction score
This drives the cost of phones and service up as since it is unlikely that the phone is in any way defective Verizon will likely not receive any money back from Motorola for this phone. What you should do is delete all aplications in the phone and then see if the phone still force closes... I do mean ALL that you downloaded. Personally I have noticed that after installing several applications the phone will Force close, lag, and also have horrible longterm standby battery life.

If you are going to exchange please do yourself and verizon a huge favor and get something like a chocolate touch or env3. The Droid is very new and the software for it is sketchy at the moment.

Handcent was horrible a on the Moto Droid a month ago... It lagged the phone out and force closed all the time. After several updates it seems to work fine. Other apps are just like that.

Nothing is wrong with your phone but if you cant handle it getting a new droid will not solve the problem. Furthermore I believe your installed apps will transfer over likely causing you to experience the same problems again.

LordKastle

Reaction score
Anabolix don't be concerned about trying to cater to any of us DROID phans... if you are having a problem and want to exchange then go for it. No need to try and give the impression that you don't want to offend any of us.

"DON'T GET ME WRONG! I love the motorola droid so much! Coming from old LG Chocolate 2, this phone is light years ahead and it is so cool."