Finally ready to do some updating

bobsmith

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am currently running Th3ory Rom and have had it for a long time. I never felt the need to get some current updates because I have been happy with this rom. Recently I decided it was time to update to see if I can resolve my connectivity issues. However, sadly, it seems I am now way behind the ball on the best way to update.

My current System Version is:

5.5.892.XT875.Verizon.en.US
I believe the latest is 5.9.901?

Build Number:

[R3]BLURR3D V1.6 PB

I am comfortable with the rooting process but am struggling with the finding the proper way to update and not run into any loss of data issues. Could anyone give me a quick pointer on the easiest way to go about doing this update? I am thinking I could just go through all of the updates to get to the current version but was hoping there was an easier way. Things just arent as easy as the OG droid! lol

I appreciate any help someone may be able to provide.
Thanks!

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
Im sort of in the same boat. I have system version 5.8.894 and kin3tx v1.0. Im happy with the rom but would like the v901 since its suppose to help with connectivity issues which I have. But I see that 30 pages thread and ppl talking about safestrap (never heard of this before, just bootstrap) and forever root and this, that, and the other thing, having to downgrade before updating, etc. Not to mention Im on a Mac and the instructions in that thread are for Windows. Plus there seems to be alot of ppl having issues updating to 901 there. Seems I should leave well enough alone, but I still want that update.

Reaction score
I also have version 5.8.894 with Kin3tx 1.0, and am looking to get the .901 upgrade as well for connectivity purposes.

This thread seems like it is worth following, but I'm nervous about the risks involved I guess.

useltonm

Reaction score
I too was on .894 with Kin3tx 1.0 before attempting the update. After following posted instructions I was able to update to .901 and then flashed the .901 liberty rom all while retaining forever root with only 1 hiccup.

First I backed up everything with TIBU. Then I followed the instructions here(which is the link millions posted): [01-11-12] 901 Howto and Links (revamped and updated) - xda-developers
During step 5, I did not have to reboot my phone at the first set of red instructions. After rebooting is where I had the hiccup. My phone didn't take the forever root here for whatever reason. I rebooted my phone and booted back up to 5.5.893. I then used the one click root from here http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...70-r3l3as3droot-43v3r-root-bionic-v2-1-a.html to perform forever root.

I then rebooted and verified forever root. I used astro to figure it out, but you can use root explorer or another similar app. To do this, go to /system/bin. Open mount_ext3.sh and go all the way to the bottom. If you see the following at the bottom of the page then you've got forever root:
chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su
chmod 4755 system/app/Superuser.apk

I also opened up root apps just to verify I had root.

Hopefully the batch file worked just fine for you and you don't have to take this extra step, but ymmv.

After forever rooting I went back to the runmebbb batch file and continued from there. If you end up bootlooping you can follow the instructions here starting at step 6: Obtain .901 base update with root (coherently written) - RootzWikiFor the link just above I did not have to wipe data or cache to install the update.

At this point hopefully you've got the .901 update installed. After verify I had the update installed I booted up into clockwork recovery wiped everything data, cache, etc and then installed the liberty rom. I would've gone back to kin3tx, but the megaupload link is obviously dead. (As far as I can tell, once you install a rom it will show the radio for whatever the rom you are using was built off of. I definitely had .901 before installing the .901 compatible liberty rom. Now that the rom is installed my system version shows as .886, but my baseband, webtop and kernel versions all match up with the .901 updated info.)

Can't really tell you if the update is any good or not as I just did it two nights ago and I'm in the middle of nowhere with virtually no Verizon coverage. I'm looking forward to getting home this weekend and testing out the improvement in the radio.

Hopefully this helps at least one of you with taking the plunge. As long as you make sure to back up your info you shouldn't be too bad off. If you run into problems the forums are filled with very knowledgeable people that are very helpful.

Here's another link with info: [GUIDE] How To Receive OTAs Again If You Are On A Leak ***Proven Working Method*** - xda-developersAnd another with info should have an issue with cdt (which it seems some people have had, which i believe relates to data issues) http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-bionic-hacks/192131-upgrading-901-heres-everything-you-need-what-do.html

Good luck!

Edit: I have no idea how you'd do this with a Mac.

As for safestrap it gives you safe and non-safe modes. You put your trusted rom in the non-safe mode. Then you flash whatever rom you want in the safe mode. This allows you to have a trusted rom available should you have issues with another rom in safe mode. Also, you can't use safestrap with bootstrap. (This is the general idea I believe. If I am incorrect, I'd appreciate it if someone could correct me.)

Last edited:
OP
B

bobsmith

Reaction score
Figured I'd chime in real quick. Basically my main concern was to get the .901 radio in the hopes of fixing some of my connectivity issues. I decided to just get the update and not really worry about being rooted for a while - I am moving in the next few days so I just wanted a phone I don't have to worry about. I did the method described at : [01-11-12] 901 Howto and Links (revamped and updated) - xda-developers and currently my System Version is 5.9.901.XT875.Verizon.en.US so I am assuming I have the updated radio.

So far so good on the phone and I have not dropped down into 3g at all once I did the update - my old settings did it constantly. Like I said, so far so good!

Good luck everyone!

kamisan

Reaction score
bob- if you don't need root you should be good. bootstrap will work with this just likes safestrap. unlike safestrap bootstrap will only let you have 1 rom running on your phone. safe let's you pick. (makes using alpha roms while having a stable daily driver rom) if you decide to root it is not that difficult. you can also back grade down to 5.5.893 then root then forever root and re upgrade to 901. and if you don't need root or a custom rom disregard. ;-)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

DroidMedic

Reaction score
I have a stock bionic and i am trying to root it. I have had no luck. Petes one touch does not work and i am alittle worried about taking the ADB route as i am not that talented and i don't want to brick my phone. Are there any other one touch roots out there? I just had to trade in my last bionic that i had rooted and had liberty3 on i was able to flash back and unroot my phone prior to sending it back to VZW but now i cannot find the one touch i used before. Also where can you get R3blurr3d now