Few questions before purchase..

Downsider

Reaction score
Got a few questions for you guys. I've been looking to get a new phone for a while and the Fascinate seems brilliant.

1) If I were to purchase this phone through Verizon, say, in a few weeks time, would I be able to root the phone? I know that most other companies give trouble for doing things like jailbreaking, and thus try to update their models often enough to prevent things like this. However, with the Android's open policies, I doubt I'll have to worry about this. Am I correct?

2) If I were to root the phone, would it be possible to turn the phone into a wireless access point? I've noticed there's something called Mobile Hotspot, but that seems to incur additional fees from Verizon. I saw something called Wifi Tethering that would only work on root'd phones; could I use this to tether utilize my Fascinate's 3G network from my iPod Touch without having additional fees?

Thanks in advance! I can't wait to get my new phone :)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Got a few questions for you guys. I've been looking to get a new phone for a while and the Fascinate seems brilliant.

1) If I were to purchase this phone through Verizon, say, in a few weeks time, would I be able to root the phone? I know that most other companies give trouble for doing things like jailbreaking, and thus try to update their models often enough to prevent things like this. However, with the Android's open policies, I doubt I'll have to worry about this. Am I correct?

2) If I were to root the phone, would it be possible to turn the phone into a wireless access point? I've noticed there's something called Mobile Hotspot, but that seems to incur additional fees from Verizon. I saw something called Wifi Tethering that would only work on root'd phones; could I use this to tether utilize my Fascinate's 3G network from my iPod Touch without having additional fees?

Thanks in advance! I can't wait to get my new phone :)

1. You would if you know how be able to root it the same day you got it. That does void your warranty

2. I don't have the fascinate but I don't see any reason why not. Other Android phones can do it. People do it all the time. Now whether it will work with an iPod Touch, I don't have any idea.

I'd wait for a more definitive answer for question 2.

OP
D

Downsider

Reaction score
1. You would if you know how be able to root it the same day you got it. That does void your warranty

Any specific reason why it would have to be the same day I got it..? As far as I'm concerned, rooting the phone seems to be a breeze anyway.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Any specific reason why it would have to be the same day I got it..? As far as I'm concerned, rooting the phone seems to be a breeze anyway.

I think you misunderstood what I said. In response to your question about whether or not your could root in a few weeks I was saying you could do it as soon as you wanted too, not that you had to.

OP
D

Downsider

Reaction score
I think you misunderstood what I said. In response to your question about whether or not your could root in a few weeks I was saying you could do it as soon as you wanted too, not that you had to.

Oh, no, I meant purchasing the phone in a few weeks time; as in, the current model is still able to be rooted.

SDC_Bolts

Reaction score
Wireless teather works great on the fascinate, so to question #2, yes.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I use Wireless Tether for my iPhone all the time! Sooooo much better than that Edge garbage I was stuck with before rooting! :)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App