Feasibility of developing application to impersonate call to BT device?

cr08

Reaction score
To elaborate on the subject line: I am curious of the feasibility of building an application that, to a bluetooth headset, can trick it into thinking there is an active phone call even when there isn't? And equally important: Intercept dialed numbers from said bluetooth device and use one specifically programmed number as a 'shortcut' that will not dial normally but trigger another program.

To explain what I am trying to accomplish here: I currently have a BT capable headunit installed in my car that works great except for one glaring flaw: The only way to dial out from the headunit is through a recent calls menu accessible through it or manually dialing a number through the remote control. There is no way to trigger the voice dialer on the phone and the headunit doesn't have one either. And even if you activate the voice dialer manually, the BT in the headunit doesn't activate so your voice has to go through the phone's mic until a call is in session. The functionality, to say the least, is pretty basic. I was thinking about it last night and the most straightforward 'hack' to fix this is to essentially have a pre-defined 'number' (such as ***) that will be defined, an application will intercept it, prevent the main dialer from dialing while triggering the headunit into thinking there is a call in progress, trigger the voice dialer, and hopefully once the voice dialer dials out that call session will take over. I just want to know if this is doable in Android at all? I am interested in dabbling in Android app programming and think this would be a relatively easy way to start without having to deal with tons of GUI stuff. Mostly backend with, at best, a simple textual status display if any.

Thanks!

tomcat371

Reaction score
BT Device

I am not sure if you are having the same problem that I am. I have an old BT device and my Samsung Infuse will not let me click the BT to get voice dialing working. After reviewing I found out that I needed a newer BT and I found a blue ant relatively priced on e-bay and there is an app as well that goes with it. So this will hopefully solve my problem and it may be the way for you to fix yours. I will try to post back on here again once I get my BT device. Good luck.

OP
cr08

cr08

Reaction score
Unfortunately replacing the 'headset' in this case is not an option. So a workaround would have to be found to make the existing functionality work in a desired manner. Essentially options break down to: 1) Build a workaround as I noted originally or something close to it, 2) Replace the radio altogether with one that has a better Bluetooth implementation (at a much increased cost that I'd rather not incur), or 3) Just live with the current setup.