FBI Claims Won't Share iPhone 5C Hacking Secret with Apple Because They Don't Understand It

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
doj-iphone-5c.jpg

Which is more disconcerting to you... That the FBI might lie/exaggerate to keep from sharing the iPhone 5C security vulnerability with Apple, or that they are too incompetent to even understand the hack to begin with? That's the situation the Federal Bureau of Investigations is currently presenting the public (if the report from the Wall Street Journal is accurate). As a quick recap for those who missed it, the FBI went to hackers and purchased a method to unlock the San Bernardino shooter's iPhone 5C for a rumored $1.3 Million dollars.

According to the WSJ report, the FBI understands "so little" about this hack that they are going to recommend to the White House that an internal government review makes no sense. The governmental review is one of the only ways that the FBI will be forced to share the hacking method with Apple, and only the White House can order the review.

Basically, this review would be conducted under the U.S. Vulnerabilities Equities Process. This process lets federal agencies determine if critical security flaws should or will be shared with private companies. Without this review, the FBI will not be compelled to share the hacking secret (although they could do so voluntarily).

In trying to explain why he doesn't think a review should proceed forward, FBI Director James Comey said "We are in the midst of trying to sort that out. The threshold (for disclosure) is, are we aware of the vulnerability, or did we just buy a tool and don't have sufficient knowledge of the vulnerability to implicate the process?"

It all boils down to the fact that the FBI wants to continue to use the hacking tool when necessary, and would prefer to share it with Apple only after Apple has already patched it. Isn't that putting the cart before the horse?

chevycam94

SteelDroid ROM / Cortex ROM Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P, VZW Note Edge, D1
Nope, they should be allowed to keep the secret, to pendent all this hassle with Apple in the future. For things exactly like this, they need a backdoor, and since Apple isn't willing to cooperate with anyone, this is needed

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
To be honest, neither is disconcerting to me. If they are hacking into phones that they deem a necessity to get into, have at it. Apple didn't want to cooperate so the FBI took it upon themselves. They have no responsibility to share that with Apple. Apple can kick rocks.

I said from the very beginning, the FBI will get into that phone with or without Apples help and here we are.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Screw apple. Lame ass overpriced hippsters can go jump off the roof in their skinny jeans for all I care.

Fbi spent millions on a hack and apple wants it for free? Hope apple holds their breath till they turn purple and pop a vein. What a lame ass company.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I'm sure its something already known since it was an older iPhone and is most likely patched already or no longer available in current hardware components. Either way, meh.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Nope, they should be allowed to keep the secret, to pendent all this hassle with Apple in the future. For things exactly like this, they need a backdoor, and since Apple isn't willing to cooperate with anyone, this is needed
they don't NEED a backdoor, they WANT a backdoor. There's a huge difference.

chevycam94

Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
So, they already HAD one? Sounds like they had to go to a third party to get into it. That means they didnt have one to start with.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2

Oi and they are wanting to keep a tight lid on it too. Don't understand why...it doesn't really affect them unless they are claiming it is a 'hostile work environment' which is untrue as I can personally attest. I'm willing to bet it's an outside incident and the media will wanna try to blow it out of proportion as the media typically does ( in turn because of how Apple acts towards them ).

chevycam94

Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
Bottom line, if your attempting to make an "unhackable" phone at all costs, your actually attempting to SECURE the data of criminals, so that authorities can't do their job.

If your on the side of Apple, you might want to seriously rethink your position. Everyday security for 90% of the population is all well and good, and we will agree on that. But when it comes to criminal actions, your rights are gone, you screwed up big time. Nothing of yours is private and off limits anymore.

Take this for example. A bomber is on a spree. He's already blown up 9 buildings. He just got caught, and is being interrogated. He says that the location of his 10th target, which will activate in 1 week, will kill around 10,000 people, is safely stored in his locked down phone.

Is it OK to hack into his phone to save the lives of 10,000 people, or should he still have his right to privacy, and keep that location private, and therefore kill those 10,000 people.

This may be a hypothetical situation, but it's WAY too close to events that can, and have, happened already.

Now, which side do YOU chose?

spyder560

Reaction score
I really don't understand what the big deal is with this whole debacle. I work in the industry and we rip into iphones quite frequently with a well known 3rd party vendor. It's really no big secret. :confused:

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I really don't understand what the big deal is with this whole debacle. I work in the industry and we rip into iphones quite frequently with a well known 3rd party vendor. It's really no big secret. :confused:
Do you willing do it with the owner's consent or use "Terrorism" as your excuse to do it? That's the difference in this.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Owner gives up any rights soon as they stop following law of the land. Given that 5% of population are incarcerated, there are plenty of phones to break into.

Government has been listening in on everyone for past 70 years, why it's a big deal now is beyond me.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Owner gives up any rights soon as they stop following law of the land. Given that 5% of population are incarcerated, there are plenty of phones to break into.

Government has been listening in on everyone for past 70 years, why it's a big deal now is beyond me.
In March, you stated the "people" should decide. The people, in most polls I've seen, favored Apple's stance.

Now, it's "They've been doing it for years. Why speak up now?"

I don't think you know where you stand. Your opinion changes like the wind.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
When it comes to court cases then people should get to decide and I still believe in that.

This instance had nothing to do with courts so it's a different matter altogether.