Fascinate Issues? Do people have the same issues that I do?

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
When I first got my Fascinate it seemed pretty good, but there was some obvious issues. So I rooted it. I have tried many different roms, kernel, radio combinations. Keep in mind that I am not new to root. This is the third device that I have rooted. I am still having some issues and I feel as if it is the phone itself.

Problems that I have been experiencing:
-Freezing (not app specific, have to pull battery to restart)
-GPS sucks. Often doesn't work at all. Need to toggle GPS on and off a bunch of times to get it to work
-Lag when trying to run something memory intensive like Launcher pro with animations. Keep in mind I am running voodoo.
-Reboots and or sleep of death. Doesn't matter which rom or kernel I am running.

My question is. Are these problems common with other Fascinates? I am pretty sure they are but want others opinions. Thank you.

Mark Kropf

Reaction score
I have had 2 fascinates (the first one got stolen) and although at some point i have experienced most of what you mentioned, i can assure you it is not normal in my experience.
I am currently on custom rom and kernel and my phone is very close to perfect.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

Mark Kropf

Reaction score
So really my answer would be, are they common problems? Yes. Normal? No. In my opinion there are so many different variations, and methods on how you can go about to install roms etc, and not only that maybe you have corrupted data or even apps that can cause a lot of weird stuff.

Just recently I was having issues , and I thought problem was the rom or whatever, and it turned out that the problem lay in my data somewhere. I have titanium backup and backup pro to restore my apps and data, well i discovered after multiple factory resets that I had to manually restore some of my apps and didn't restore ANY of my data, and bingo that did the trick. No problems.
Now I realize this is just one of the very many different ways problems could come from. I think if someone really knows what there doing that they could fix issues 80, 90, maybe even 99% of the time.

OP
Stelv

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I do restore just data from titanium backup. I don't restore apps from Tibu, but I download them from the market then restore data from Tibu. Maybe there is some corrupted data somewhere. I'll go through my apps and see if I can eliminate the problem. Maybe i'll do a clean install of a rom and add apps one by one and see if I can isolate the problem. Thanks again.

GSdub510

Reaction score
The only problem i have that is killing me is the video recorder on the stock camera. I get a "recording failed" message, sometimes 5 seconds, 20 seconds, or a minute into recording a video. I'm not rooted and it has been like this pre-Froyo.

OP
Stelv

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I do have problems with the camera freezing and video failing to record sometimes too.

Mark Kropf

Reaction score
Also while your at it don't let Google automatically restore any data or apps, it does for me sometimes.
First thing you wanna do before restoring ANYTHING (also make sure nothing has restored automatically) is go through your phone and mess around with the settings and the apps that came with the rom and see if you have any problems. Then reboot and check again if there are no problems.
Now set up your Google account and download an app. Play with it and set it up, still good? Next download an app that was force closing or gave you trouble before and check it out. Good luck :)

OP
Stelv

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a good idea. I just wiped and am going to install EF fresh.

GSdub510

Reaction score
My phone couldnt detect my sd card for a good ten minutes. I was web browsing then it said the music i was listening to ( which i have had for months) couldnt be supported. When i tried opening player pro, i got a black screen and couldnt exit. So many issues, even my clock widget is beautiful widgets when i turn on my phone but i uninstalled it months ago

GSdub510

Reaction score
I just want a SGSII or a replacement phone

OP
Stelv

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just wiped and reinstalled only the essentials. I'll see how it goes. Going good so far. I never had any issues with my d1 except for noticeable lag. Hopefully this will fix my fascinate issues. The sgs2 looks nice, let's hope it has a better gps than fascinate though.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

millwood

Reaction score
I am convinced that phones made at different dates do not have the same hardware in them. My wife's phone was purchased 9 months after mine and it runs very differently. From checking the threads over time you will see that one person has no trouble running Rom X while others have tons of problems, but can run Rom Y just fine. I have rooted and installed the same Rom's on our two phones. Each was done the same way from a fresh install back to factory. We have the same apps with the same settings. Her phone runs like crap. Constant freezes and reboots, while mine runs like a champ. It has gotten so bad on her phone that I am restoring it back to factory tonight so she can call Verizon. We will see what happens. Same phone, same setup, same apps, same procedures, different results.

OP
Stelv

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think you are probably right with that too. I got my phone off of ebay so I don't know when it was made. Maybe the previous owner screwed it up...it seems to be in good condition though. I am usually able to fix anything with root, but not with my fassy. One thing I do know is my gps is still screwed up and a verizon tech straight up told me that the gps in the fascinate is known to be horrible. Running good so far though except for the gps. Hopefully it was just corrupted data.

Sent from my fascinate

Mark Kropf

Reaction score
You could try GPS fix, and GPS status.

OP
Stelv

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
You could try GPS fix, and GPS status.

GPS fix and status didn't work. Thanks though. The gps works if I toggle gps on and off a couple times before I start navigator.

Sent from my fascinate