1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Considering the Fascinate... but should I consider the Incredible?

Discussion in 'Samsung Fascinate' started by ppazz1101, Sep 20, 2010.

1. ppazz1101

ppazz1101 New Member

I'm new to the Android phone market. I currently have an HTC Touch Pro 2 running WinMo 6.5 (barf). I'm not exactly an average user. I tried to make my TP2 bearable by running custom ROMs. Thankfully, my company now approved the use of Android devices, so I can give up on WinMo.

So now my question is which device do I go with on Verizon... the Droid Incredible or the Samsung Fascinate. I really liked the Fascinate at the store when I looked at it. I know about the Bing "issue" and the general lack of enthusiasm for TW. But which device would you guys recommend? I want to say Fascinate. I just hear so many good things about Sense. Is it really that great or can I root and use other launchers to have a better experience on the Fascinate?

No opinion will go unread in here.
  2. phoenix927

phoenix927 New Member

I would suggest the fascinate. The incredible is thing of the past now. The fact that HTC would put a sub par processor and no deticated GPU alone is reason enough to stay away. Also, the incredible isnt even going to be using an AMOLED anymore. The newer models will have a LCD screen.

The Bing issue isnt that big of a problem for the Fascinate because with a simple root you can use google again and remove all the crap bloatware.

Im using a Droid X now but am honestly considering switching to a Fascinate. The Droid X is just almost too large for me. Dont get me wrong its a great phone, but there is just something about the Fascinate.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  3. ppazz1101

ppazz1101 New Member

Thanks. I agree that the Bing issue isn't much of an issue to me.
  4. tobytl

tobytl New Member

Err? ... The CPUs in all of our current high end phones are pretty much the same (Cortex-A8 with _minor_ tweaks), and the CPU performance is pretty much equal (per clock). The Snapdragons Scorpion CPU is actually the only exception, in that they essentially remade the Cortex-A8 as their own design with extended SiMD extensions to the ARMv7 instruction set. But it still performs in line with a standard Cortex-A8 in real world applications. And it does in fact have a dedicated GPU, the Adreno 200 (AMD z430). But that's the sub par part. Or more technically, the drivers are sub par, the chip itself is actually fairly decent.

As for SAMOLED vs SLCD: Spot the difference: HTC Desire's SLCD versus AMOLED -- Engadget
  5. ppazz1101

ppazz1101 New Member

Actually, that's the difference between HTC's AMOLED and SLCD. The Incredible has the AMOLED right now. However, the Fascinate has the Super AMOLED, which is even better than the HTC AMOLED.
  6. tobytl

tobytl New Member

Yea, sorry, got too excited with the s's :). It was in response to the comment about the Incredible dumping AMOLED in favor of SLCD, and the implication that it was a bad thing. Which isn't true, SLCD is better than standard AMOLED, but it's close. And some outlets are already selling the SLCD Incredibles, Best Buy being one. And the only improvement in SAMOLED was to marry the glass to the display, thus reducing glare and improving viewing angles, the actual display technology is still the same.

That said, I still think if those are your only options, you should go with the Fascinate. Personally, I prefer (S)LCD over (S)AMOLED, but the rest of the hardware is better on the Fascinate (especially the GPU). For me, it's a toss up with the edge to the Fascinate, for most people it'd be a no brainer. I was just clarifying the comparison as the info provided on the Incredible in the post I quoted was wrong.

And there are options if you want the "Sense Experience" (at least the widgets, which is the only good part of Sense to most people). You can put LauncherProPlus on the Fascinate, or any android phone, and get very Sense-like widgets.
  7. dricacho

dricacho New Member

I have Launcherpro Plus and my Fascinate is VERY Sense-like.
  8. Googleaddict

Googleaddict New Member

You should get the Fascinate. Better processor, screen, gpu, ect. I'm going to get my Fascinate very soon :D
  9. Signum

Signum Member

i had the incredible, now have the fascinate.

both very good devices.
  10. Taino Warrior

Taino Warrior New Member

End less you know how to root your phone get the fascinate, I have the fascinate phone i tried to root no success it running slow Bing sucks badly GPS is a nightmare I'm going back to Droid X.
  11. ohfire

ohfire New Member

I came off the Droid 2 and I haven't looked back. I have not rooted yet and right now I see no need to. The phone I have is doing all I am asking it to do. I have both TW and Launcher pro on it and I switch back and forth as the whim hits me. The phone is as fast as I need it to be, it is smooth and a great fit in the hand. The biggest thing for me, I can look at it outside in the sun and see the screen and read messages. I have not had any battery issues and I use it moderately, perhaps a little on the heavy side every day. Unlike the Droid 1 and 2, I still have battery left when I get home.
    Good luck on the decision
  12. sillyrabbitt123

sillyrabbitt123 New Member

there is no difference they both look good and are awesome. i dont think you will be unhappy either way. no led on fascinate is a deal breaker for me.

however after you buy either one in the 3-4 months or less you wish you would have bought the new device thats will be out.

gl
  13. ppazz1101

ppazz1101 New Member

Ah, see... you're the person I want to hear more from. Which do you prefer?

You have two very good points there. First, coming from WinMo 6.5, I don't think I'll dislike either device. Second, there's always something new coming 3-6 months down the road that will out class whatever's on the market now.
  14. sillyrabbitt123

sillyrabbitt123 New Member

actually reasons to get the fascinate are buy one get one free at the moment and battery life isnt stellar on Dinc. not sure on Fascinate though.

just buy one and enjoy it :)
  15. Signum

Signum Member

I prefer the fascinate right now. I really like having the bigger screen. I do miss the HTC sense occasionally but using launcher pro plus does the job just fine for me. I do like the better battery life I get on the fascinate. The HTC keyboard is better though in my opinion

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
  16. epic_engineering

epic_engineering New Member

I had the HTC Eris with sence UI and I absolutely loved it. Finally when 2.2 Came out I rooted it and lost it.. For a little while it sucked then while searching for Sence style widgets I came across Launcher pro and Beautiful widgets . The combo its a super awesome UI!!!!!!!

When I got the Droid2 day 1 the Launcher pro plus was installed and then when I switch to the Fascinate it was installed. Haven't looked back at sence again...

And by the way, The fascinate is the device I'd choose. my X has the Incredible and its a cool phone but I'd still choose the Samsung over it any day.
  17. ppazz1101

ppazz1101 New Member

Sweet. Well my Fascinate will be here tomorrow. Ordered it today through work. Thanks for the input everyone!
  18. zero7starz

zero7starz New Member

I would opt for the fascinate. Here is why:

The 4.0" screen is somewhat of a sweet spot for everyone- its just big enough to accommodate those with large hands, and small enough not to overwhelm those with small hands. It displays color much better, and text is easier to read on it. Its light, it has a LED which is a handy flash light. It runs slightly faster. Bing is fixable. And it has a better camera. Not to mention, touchwiz is actually pretty cool- its the only Android overlay that will let you organize your app drawer and the home screen. My advise, get a case for it. Plus, most of the HTC widgets that people rave over you can download almost exact copies if not better ones.

I like the incredible don't get me wrong, its a great device and it looks super stylish. However, its too small for most men to use (so I've found during my days at work) the battery life is ultra terrible, more so than most other Android phones, and sometimes sense does things that just make no sense. Plus, it doesn't really have anything that any other Android phone has unless you're totally sold on that screen size.
  19. ppazz1101

ppazz1101 New Member

Yeah, I've started the search for cases already.

I never considered the size of the screen. That will make a difference. I have large hands and am used to a hardware keyboard. The Fascinate shouldn't be too bad with the bigger screen... at least I hope.
  20. WorldOfJohnboy

WorldOfJohnboy New Member

Not to throw a wrench into the works, here, but since I purchase smartphones for my company, I've tried the Incredible, Droid X, Droid 2 and Fascinate and here's my order:

1. Droid X - best overall HW specs, decent Widgets, easily the best screen. Getting Froyo starting tomorrow. Only downfall may be the size.
    2. Incredible -HTC has the best Widgets, and great combination of size, weight and screen.
    3. Fascinate - I like the fact that Exchange (ActiveSync) mail comes with search feature and that the "Notifications" screen has the toggle buttons for BT, WiFi, GPS & Airplane, but the widgets are practically useless (the only one worth anything was the weather/clock app). Pros are the weight and screen size... this is practically an iPhone 3Gs clone with a bigger screen.
    4. Droid 2 - Never could get over the slider keyboard, still don't know anyone that uses it either. For those that love the original Droid, I am sure it's perfect though. Too heavy and the screen looks small.
    I did a side-by-side-by-side with the 1st three phones above and played the same exact YouTube video simultaneously. The Fascinate's colors and the pixelation were horrible in comparison to the Incredible and the DX's... My only problem with the HTC Incredible is that the screen seems very small and there is no SWYPE keyboard that comes with it. (Though you can purchase SlideIT for $3.)

I personally have the Droid X and love everything about it. Just my $.02
Search tags for this page

magnets and lcd screens

samsung galaxy s fascinate vs droid incredible

should i get samsung fascinate or incredible 2